Solar Lights

Discussion in 'Gardening Other' started by Doghouse Riley, Mar 20, 2024.

1. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Young Pine

We've a lot of lights in our garden, 5 mains, 4 low voltage, 3 sets of fairy lights (all of which we rarely turn on) and three PIR security lights. We also had about a dozen solar lights.
    Here when we had our koi pool.

[​IMG]

But every year I had to put them away in the garage, separate the globes, pack them in polythene boxes, (first removing the batteries) clean the posts then spray, them with WD40, clean their stakes, and pack them in more boxes.
    The next year I had to charge up the batteries, then test the lights. The contacts tend to rust, so I needed to use bits of wire on some, to make the connections, then put them out.

This year, as Garden Manager, I made an executive decision.

I binned the lot.

I'm still glad I did.

2. Loading...

3. Willowisp0801

Willowisp0801 In Flower

Uh oh, am I not supposed to leave solar lights out in the winter? Nobody puts them away, that I know. They still work, and they did look pretty with the snow. Hmmm, well I got them at Dollar Tree, back when every thing was still a dollar, so no big loss if I ruined them, I guess.

Sjoerd, Pacnorwest and Daniel W like this.
  4. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I love solar lights. I leave the cheap ones out all winter, but bring the nice ones inside. I store them without the batteries and they have been fine for years. I replace the batteries with new re-chargables every now and then - they are cheap from Amazon

5. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

Our solar lights do wear out. May evif I was more diligent about bringing them in, they would last longer.

Like Netty, we do replace the batteries from time to time.

They are not all that bright, but better here than darkness.

Willowisp0801, Sjoerd and Pacnorwest like this.
  6. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Lots of different types of solar lights in my garden. A few favs are the tiki , different insects that glow, hanging wind chimes, rain drop, rope style and a few more. It brings the garden to life at night.
    I have glow plants on order that glow at dusk. I read about them years ago and the plant are finally out. We
    will see how well that glows…uh goes.. https://light.bio/

Willowisp0801 and Sjoerd like this.