Something That I Never Expected That I'll Get To Plant

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by KK Ng, Dec 3, 2010.

1. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Last week Becky's sis from UK and US return for a visit and the one from UK brought a fantastic gift for me, strawberries plant and bay leaves cutting.

[​IMG]
    Strawberries Plant ( photo / image / picture from KK Ng's Garden )
    This are the strawberries that were planted into a pot for them to recover when I got them. Today the plants are looking much nice and I have to seperate them into indiviual pot soon. The weather had been really conducive for them to grow because it had been raining daily so it is quite cool. Wonder whether they will grow to maturity and bear fruits????

[​IMG]
    Bay Leaves Cutting ( photo / image / picture from KK Ng's Garden )
    I have got 5 cutting altogether. I am hoping that they will take root after travelling for thousands of kilometers :D If they were to take roots, then I will only keep two plants in pots so that they won't grow into a tree.

Frank likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

They look very healthy for world travelers. Good luck with them, maybe you will have a bowl of homegrown strawberries and cream before too long.

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

They certainly are looking good and healthy KK. I hope they grow on well for you and produce too. Do keep us updated on their progress won't you?

5. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Thanks Toni, I had heard of people planting strawberries in the lowlands in this region in their yard and the fruits are super sour but I have yet to see with my own eyes. Let's see what will come out of this :D

Thanks Eileen and I will do that :-D

Advertisement
  6. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

I love presents like that :-D

7. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

That's pretty cool, KK!

8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

This is great news, KK.
    Ermmm--you weren't serious about the strawberry plant getting to be tree size were you now? ;) chuckle.

I hope that the bay bush cutting will do well for you.

Keep us updated, oké?

9. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Good luck with both strawberries and bay leaf bush, KK. I envy you the bay leaf. We can only grow them indoors here.

10. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Stratsmom plants are great presents to give and received. When I first started visitors used to ask for some plants in my garden and I gladly gave to them whatever I can spare. Some would give me some of theirs that they noticed that I don't have :) Nowadays I just ask them do they want any plants or seed from my garden, it really feel good :-D

Thanks Daisybean.

Sojerd I wish they would and I can rewrite "Jack and the bean stalk" to KK and the strawberry tree!!! :D No what I meant was for the bay leaves. Hey any tip for the strawberries??

I am now preparing some bigger pots to replant them. Like you all having snow, I am having rain and don't want to get wet so it is like a holiday for me now :) Wish I can have some snow!!!!

11. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Wewll KK, I could rattle-on for a while on tips for strawberries...but I do not know exactly where to start since I don't know the sort that you have nor have I ever groen them in containers.

One thing that they need is acidic ground.
    When they have started blooming, then they need to be fed.

Here is a piece that I wrote about Perpetual strawbs. Maybe that will be helpful.

http://www.gardenstew.com/about13422.html

---and another posting:

http://www.gardenstew.com/about10887.html

--and finally this one. I have a posting on this thread, but so does Biita, who was once a regular contributer on here.

http://www.gardenstew.com/about12567.html

After reading these, let me know if you have any specific questions and I shall try and address them.

Here's wishing you good luck with your "Strawberry plantation". ;)

12. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Wow!! that is a lot of info to digest, thanks Sojerd.

I will plant mine in pots for ease of weather and pest control. Scarificing the first session bloom I must do but I think it is going to be rather painful because this is the first time I am planting strawberries and in tropical climate. Hey I should be happy if I can see them flowering!! :eek: :-? I guess I have to get them growing healthy first!!

13. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

[​IMG]
    Growing ( photo / image / picture from KK Ng's Garden )
    The strawberries had grown a little and I am a bit slow in getting the pots ready to seperate them .... must really get down to doing it by tomorrow. Finger crossed that it won't rain.

[​IMG]
    Bay Leaves ( photo / image / picture from KK Ng's Garden )
    No movement here, looks a little like plastic plants, don't they? :D

14. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Today I transplanted the strawberries into their own individual pots of about a shovel deep.

[​IMG]
    ph 5~6 ( photo / image / picture from KK Ng's Garden )
    First I made a mix of top soil with compost in the ratio of 3:2 and adjusted the ph by adding burnt nut grass nut & roots :D The final ph is around 5~6 but closer to 5 ..... I hope this is OK.

[​IMG]
    Just the right depth ( photo / image / picture from KK Ng's Garden )
    Dug the strawberries from the recovery bay and planted them in their respective pots with the slightly acidic mix. They were planted carefully making sure that they are not too deep in the mix.

[​IMG]
    First time gentle watering. ( photo / image / picture from KK Ng's Garden )
    Finally they were given the traditional welcome spray of water. I water them in excess to make sure the ground sit in and the whole pot is wet.

I place them in partial shade for them to recover. Now the waiting begins........................

15. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

The straw berries plant are doing great but I am getting a little confused.

[​IMG]
    Strawberries Plant ( photo / image / picture from KK Ng's Garden )
    I noticed that there is a slight different between the two plants :-?

[​IMG]
    Different Shape ( photo / image / picture from KK Ng's Garden )
    The leaves are of different shape. At first I thought that one of them (the left one) is a juvenile but it had been awhile ant it seems to insists on holding that shape. Is it a different species?

[​IMG]
    Bay leaf ( photo / image / picture from KK Ng's Garden )
    The Bay Leaf either thinks that it is still in UK and is sleeping out the winter or is busy doing underground work. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Jewell likes this.
  16. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Well KK, things are going quite well with the strawbs, aren't they.
    I see the difference in the two plant's leaves. I feel pretty sure that the plant on the left is a strawberry plant. The plant on ther right, I am not so sure about, since I have never seen such a leaf on any plant that I have grown (at least I do not remember it).
    The leaves on the right plant do look familiar but I just can't place it at the moment.