Southern Magnolia tree questions

Discussion in 'Trees, Shrubs and Roses' started by Vincenza, Jun 11, 2015.

1. Vincenza

Vincenza New Seed

Hi everyone! I'm hoping someone here can help me with a few questions. The home that my best friend grew up in has a huge southern magnolia tree in the front yard. It was planted there when he was born...51 years ago. For sentimental reasons, he's wanting to take a cutting or two from this tree to plant at his new home. I've never attempted anything like this and I have no idea where to begin. There are usually several saplings that sprout up under the tree...would it be better to dig a few of those up or get a cutting? Also, it may be a few months before he can plant anything...can the saplings or cuttings be potted until then? We have a lot of red clay here in South Carolina...is there a particular soil that would be good to use? Anything else I'm not thinking of? Sorry for all the questions...I'm just hoping for the best possible outcome as there's a possibility that his sisters, who currently live in the home (he hasn't lived there in years), aren't going to be able to keep it. These little trees will be all he has left from the house he grew up in. :worried: Thanks for any and all help or advice...it's definitely appreciated!

Vinnie :stew1:

2. Loading...

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

According to Botanica, magnolias are not easily transplanted since the roots are fragile. If your friend wants to dig up some of the saplings, it would be best to dig up a pretty big ball of dirt so as to not disturb the roots. Direct transplanting would be best (no time spent in a pot) but if that isn't possible, use soil that the sapling has been growing in, put it in afternoon shade, and keep it moist but not wet.
    Magnolia cuttings are best taken in summer, and they can be started from seed in the fall.
    Different cultivars of magnolia like different soils, some slightly acidic, others alkaline. Find out what kind of soil the tree is growing in, and try to duplicate it. A simple litmus paper test (put a 1/2 cup of soil in a jar, add enough water to make loose mud, and dip the litmus paper into the mess).
    If your friend can take some cuttings, gather seed, and also dig up several seedlings, he should end up with a magnolia tree (or forest).
    Good luck!

Vincenza likes this.
  4. Vincenza

Vincenza New Seed

Thank you so much...that's a huge help! As he is not nearly as in love with playing in the dirt as I am, I'm pretty sure I'll be taking on this project. Summer has apparently begun here in SC as it's going to be in the 90's this week...I'm going to head over to the house in a couple of days and try my hand at getting some cuttings. :fingerscrossed: Thanks again for the response! :D

Vinnie :stew1: