Spring is lasting longer this year....

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by toni, Apr 18, 2013.

1. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

so here it is the second half of April and there are still fresh blooms and soon to be blooms in my front garden. Not like last year when everything bloomed in March and was almost dead by May from the heat and drought.

We had about an inch of rain early this morning so everything looks really happy including me. ;)

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sjoerd, Droopy, Jewell and 3 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Toni, I know what you mean! Our gardens, both flower and vegetable, are behind in development, but I don't care. The plants are enjoying sufficient rain and growing nicely. We have roses in bloom, have harvested some leaf lettuces, and mowing seems to be a daily activity. Gosh, I love spring in Texas!
    Check back with me in July :rolleyes: .

Jewell likes this.
  4. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Awww, look at all those blooms, and all the fresh green you've got. I'm envious. :D I'm glad your spring lasts longer this year, then we can enjoy your garden longer too.

5. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Everything looks so fresh! I know you have got to be enjoying this cooler weather... probably more than your plants. :stew1:

Advertisement
  6. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

It does look happy :p

7. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Looks fabulous Toni! So GREEN!
    We had a thunderstorm last night and I think things are FINALLY 'greening up' today :)

8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Things are looking good there. Somehow with the wetness, it all looks so healthy and vibrant.
    There are a few things blooming now, but I can see that much more will be blooming in the future, and that will be a remarkable sight.

9. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

toni, Very nice. I always look forward to seeing what you are growing. Thank you and enjoy as much as you can.

10. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

Ummm, seems like WINTER is lasting longer than usual here!! :-x
    We had snow yesterday, which did melt quickly. It is so cold! The plants are trying to grow, but are so slow. I did have 2 inches of rain in the gauge from the latest weather events.
    I guess I mustn't fuss too much, the moisture is a godsend for the dry parched earth.
    Gardening is all about patience...

BTW, Toni, you're gardens DO look happy!

11. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Gives me something to look forward to. I should be able to post some pic's of my flower gardens in bloom probably around August if the temps stay this low. Today we are having snow flurries(sorry about using the S word), and temps around 40 degrees, with 25-35 mile an hour gusty winds. :'( :-x
    My daffodils are about three inches out of the ground. But if it gets cold enough they may just retreat back into the ground to stay warm or freeze off. :( Yikes I just looked outside and we are having a small snow flurry squall blow threw. Boy! It is so true about Wisconsin. Just wait 5 min. and the weather will change. I hope so. :stew1:

12. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

So much to see in every picture Toni,..interesting garden accessories for sure and yes everything is looking lush.

13. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Thanks all for the comments and seeds. I am pretty pumped up about gardening this spring...but then I check out the long range summer forecast and I know it's going to be a short lived feeling of happiness. Drought is supposed to get worse than before and the heat will be back for what looks like a longer time period.

Jane, I figure by early June the front yard will be pretty worn out and haggard looking. Much like me at that time of the year.

Droopy, I am always envious of your garden when you post photos. I guess I had better enjoy it to the max right now since the drought is predicted to be worse this summer than last year.

Cheryl, some of the plants have been grouching about the recent cold nights but so far only one has packed it's little bags and left. But you are right I am enjoying the extended cool weather snaps with all my being.

Deanna, my husband says I look happier too.

Netty, after the lightening with the rain Wednesday night everything has had a tremendous growth spurt. I am loving this Spring.

Sjoerd, I am really excited about the bloom times stretching out over several weeks this year. My Clematis vines are producing much longer this year too.

Barb, I wander through the gardens with camera in hand at least three times a day and am enjoying it so much that I usually forget to actually use the camera.

Kay, I wish we had had some winter, maybe it would have helped hold summer back a while longer.

Tooty2shoes, sorry to hear about winter up there.

Philip, sometimes I think I may have too many interesting garden accessories out there but they are great to look at when the plants have died out in the summer heat.