Spring-shaped garden hoses

Discussion in 'Gardening Other' started by Primsong, May 10, 2007.

1. Primsong

Primsong Young Pine

Hi all - the warmer weather meaning that I am back to laboriously looping and unlooping my 75 ft. garden hose, I have been eyeballing some of those spring-shaped ones, the ones that look like long plastic tube slinkies and are supposed to just go back where they belong when you let go.

HOWEVER - having owned a few slinkies in my day and having seen how that ubiquitous little toy quickly turns into a tangled knot, I am wondering if any of you have ever tried one of these?

Do they really spring back like they're supposed to, or do they tangle?

Thanks!

2. Loading...

3. zuzu's petals

zuzu's petals Silly Old Bat Plants Contributor

I haven't ever tried one, so I'm interested in seeing what someone who has thinks.

They are so skinny, I just wonder if they would flow enough water to make me happy.

I've seen quite a few of them show up at yard sales,
    which makes me wonder why the owners didn't want to keep them?? :-?

4. teddybear

teddybear In Flower

I was going to get one for the back yard but, can't find one around here. For some reason the stores didn't reorder this year. Makes you start to wonder.

5. englishrose

englishrose Seedling

I tried one just to water containers on the porch what a joke just like a slinky tangled all the time ended up in the trash can also not enough water capacity.

Advertisement
  6. jubabe296

jubabe296 Official Garden Fairy

Wrapping the hoses back up all the time is definately a bummer but I figured just like the rest of you guys that they would do exactly as englishrose said her's did! Boy if I had the money back for all my boy's tangled slinkies I would be rich!!:)

7. Primsong

Primsong Young Pine

Thanks englishrose - that's what I thought might be the case. If it sounds too good to be true.....

Back to shopping for a good sturdy wheel thing I can crank it up with.

8. Primsong

Primsong Young Pine

Slightly bumping this to continue that thought...

I'm looking for some kind of reel I can mount on the side of the house, one with a crank. Problem is everywhere I look all I find are very flimsy plastic ones that look like they'll snap the first time the hose gets tugged on...

Have any of you found anyplace that sells something made of *metal*? There must be something more 'industrial' strength for those of us who do more than use the hose as a decoration.