Squirrel!

Discussion in 'Wildlife in the Garden' started by marlingardener, Oct 3, 2023.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

In the 17 years we have lived here, we have seen one squirrel. They stay down by Sandy Creek in the pecan bottoms where they have nuts and cover.
    Today we saw a red squirrel getting a drink out of the bird waterer, and then scamper across the lawn. I do hope it stays out of the apple trees . . . .

eileen, Logan and Sjoerd like this.
  2. Loading...

3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

That is exciting news. Well, I can see plusses and minuses.
    But especially the red squirrels are so lovely to see. I am interested to hear if he will stay out of the apple trees…and bird feeders. I hope you can get a piccy of that little guy.

eileen and Logan like this.
  4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I'd swap all our grey squirrels for just one red. At the moment we have four greys - hopefully they will move on when spring comes around.

Sjoerd likes this.
  5. Willowisp0801

Willowisp0801 In Flower

Sjoerd likes this.

Advertisement
  6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Yes, our red squirrels have tufts on their ears. They are an attractive little beast.

Willowisp0801 likes this.
  7. Willowisp0801

Willowisp0801 In Flower

Yes, I also think they're cute. I never thought about them looking different, until she told me that.

Sjoerd likes this.
  8. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Yes we have reds too but they tend to be much further up north in pine forests.

Sjoerd likes this.
  9. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

We have red squirrels here. They are a nuisance, getting into our attic and making themselves at home. They are aggressive and heckle us and the dog. They are capable of enormous destruction to our personal property, inside and out. Last year they teamed up with the chipmunks and took almost every single plum off my plum tree (they left me ONE!)
    MG I hope you continue to see them at distance, and that they stay away from your house and apple tree!

10. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Netty. I don't think we need to worry about a squirrel invasion, since in16 years we have seen two. The little bugger didn't get our apples, we did!
    In upstate New York we learned to dislike squirrels when they got a bit high on fermented maple samaras and sat in the yard chattering and staring at me. Unnerving, but I kept reminding myself I was bigger than they, as I backed slowly into the house.

11. Willowisp0801

Willowisp0801 In Flower

I swear squirrels are smarter than people give them credit for. A squirrel or chipmunk had been digging in one of my pots (I was letting the dill go to seed for next year, in it). I came outside, saw the squirrel and said, "Hey what do you think you're doing?" The little thing got got up on his hind legs, looked right at me then scampered off behind another pot, but just his head. So I told him, "I still see you" he got up on his hind legs again, looked at me and went running off. Craziest thing!

Cayuga Morning and Sjoerd like this.
  12. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

No disgrace to run away, Jane. You’ll live to fight another day.
    Might I suggest that when confronting high squirrels, you need to break out and ply yourself with your own spirits that you have stashed for your golden years. You know, fight fire with fire(water). Or as some call it— Dutch courage.

13. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Netty, I'm with you. We've found red squirrels in particular to be very destructive and DETERMINED. Determined to get into our cottage at the farm and wreak havoc.

Willowisp0801 and Sjoerd like this.
  14. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

On this side of the big water it is the grey squirrels that are the bullies, and even can carry a type of illness that kills our red ones. They were imported and escaped. Now they are pushing out our native red squirrels.
    It is crazy how this goes. The reds are now endangered in some countries.
    I am just glad that no squirrels of any colour are present on our allotments, the other pests are enough already.

Cayuga Morning and Willowisp0801 like this.