Sugar Snap Pea question about cold temps and two photos

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by toni, Dec 3, 2011.

1. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Just for the heck of it back in late Sept I stuck some Sugar Snap peas into a couple of different pots just to see what would happen. They grew and quite well. Three vines each about 4-5 feet tall and two of the tallest actually have buds about to open. I was expecting warmer weather to hang around into late December like it did last fall and figured there was a pretty good chance for them to mature.

I know they are a cool weather crop and they survived just fine through a couple of 30 and 31 degree nights a few weeks ago....but now we have three nights of possibly upper 20's coming next week any chance of them making it through? I don't have anywhere to put them where it will be warmer for those nights so they have to live or not on their own.
    [​IMG]
    Sugar Snap pea bud #1 ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Sugar Snap pea bud #2 ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

2. Loading...

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Toni, most likely they will survive upper 20's--ours do in early spring (February). However, if you are worried, just drape an old sheet over them and put a jug of hot water at the base, under the sheet. It makes a temporary mini-greenhouse that will get a semi-tender plant through the night.
    We always have six or seven gallon water jugs stashed in the barn to fill with hot water for the cuttings on the potting shelf in the barn.