Swiss Chard

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by cherylad, Mar 29, 2011.

1. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

A co-worker has some growing and brought us a bunch a few weeks ago. Neither of us had cooked or eaten it before. So Hubby just cooked it like he would Greens. And it was scrumptious!
    She just brought me another bag of it. YUMM!

[​IMG]
    Bag of Swiss Chard ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

And in a separate bag was this big, beautiful leaf!

[​IMG]
    Swiss Chard ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

How big you ask? Well... that's a regular sized candy bar next to it. :eek:

[​IMG]
    Swiss Chard-size ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

Guess what we're having for supper tonight?

Philip Nulty likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Everytime I see the colorful Swiss Chard at a grocery store I wonder whether or not it would be a waste of money to try some. But I think I will take the chance on my next store trip. Do you just cut off the stems and cook the leaves? Do you chop them up? I have never cooked any greens from fresh, I grew up eating canned spinach. And dear hubby doesn't like green veggies all that much.

4. cherylad

Yes Toni. Cut off the stems and then cut the leaves up... but not too small because when cooked they will reduce way down. Let's see if I can remember how Hubby cooked it...
    He first cooked up a few slices of bacon and seared some onion and garlic and added salt and pepper. Removed the bacon and crumbled into bits. He left some of the grease and slowly added the Chard and cooked it until it was tender. And then added back the bacon bits.
    That big bag that she gave me will probably make about 4-5 servings.
    I'll try to pay attention tonight when he cooks to see if I forgot any steps.

Philip Nulty and DirtyDigits like this.
  5. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Cooking Swiss Chard, Cheryl's Recipe is the title in the recipe book, penciled in just in case there are corrections. Like Toni I have never eaten or cooked Swiss Chard. I will surprise the Mrs. some evening. :)

Thank you Cheryl,

Jerry

P.S. Hubby too.

Advertisement
  6. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

I've been using swiss chard for years. I use it in any dish that calls for spinach. It cooks like spinach. It's very good in quiche. Take a pie shell, put swiss or cheddar cheese in the bottom. Saute the swiss chard until it wilts. Then add it to the pie shell. Mix 3 eggs with a cup of milk, beat until smooth. Pour over swiss chard in the pie shell. Sprinkle bacon bits and grated cheese over the top and bake until set. Oven at 350 to 375 degs.
    The cheese in the bottom should be grated, too. I generally buy those bags of grated cheese in the dairy section at the market. It's also good chopped smallish and added to soup.
    I have some growing in a tub right now. It grows slow in the tub so next time I'll put a row in the garden area. It's a cool weather crop so it's probably too late for me to that this year. But, in the fall I will do that.
    dooley

I forgot to add that like spinach it takes more to fill the pie shell once it's wilted down.

Also, when we raised Fordhook Giant swiss chard one year the leaves were about 2 ft high and a foot wide. Our goats loved it.
    I, also, crunch it down and freeze it for adding to soup and casserole dishes.
    dooley

7. cherylad

This Fall, I think I'm going to see if I can get some started. Not just to eat... but to look at too!

DirtyDigits likes this.
  8. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Okay, you convinced me. Swiss Chard has been added to the grocery list.

I will have to leave onions out, hubby is alergic to them..or you could say gets a very uncomfortable reaction from them. But bacon is a have to have ingredient :rolleyes: and garlic I can get away with using.

Dooley, I never thought about adding it to quiche instead of spinach. Thanks for the recipe too that is an easy one. I have never made quiche, always figured it was a way too involved recipe to bother with.

9. EJ

EJ Allotmenteer Extraordinaire

I love it and grow it on the allotment every year. The stems are lovely steamed and then dipped in butter. yum!

10. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Cheryl, your friend brought you "Bright Lights" swiss chard. Fordhook Giant is a great variety, and overwinters here. It was the "green" that my hens got all winter.
    The young leaves can be eaten raw in salads, and the bigger leaves steamed quickly and drizzled with a bit of extra-virgin olive oil, a bit of sea salt, and a dash of vinegar (if you want). I make a stuffing of steamed chard, finely chopped shallots, and chopped mushrooms for a butterflied pork tenderloin.
    I have the variety "Sea Foam" in the garden now. We'll see if it is as good as Fordhook.

cherylad and Philip Nulty like this.
  11. cherylad

All these recipes are making me want to take off work early and hit the grocery store on the way home.

12. hydrogardener

hydrogardener Seedling

Swiss Chard is one of the most healthy greens you can eat. It is also easy to grow, as it can take heat or cold, sun or shade. I grow it in the greenhouse, even in the summer. And, I grow it indoors under lights, along with the lettuce, in the winter. This batch will be picked in a few days.

[​IMG]

13. Pricklypear

Pricklypear Seedling

I love Swiss Chard. I use veined leaves in salad. I love it steamed. If you haven't got quite enough spinach or chard for a meal, steam them together.

I like to vein and roll swiss chard leaves then slice them thin to use in a slaw (with or without cabbage). Chard, shredded carrot and a little dressing is terrific. You can sprinkle some cheese on top--whatever you like.

Use it in Lasagna instead of spinach.

Once it gets going it just keeps on giving. I harvest leaves not the whole plant. When I need the space for summer veggies, I just chop it all up and dig it right in the bed.

14. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

They all sound so delicious!!!! Why no Swiss Chard here!!! why!! why!!!w-h-y!!!!