Talk to me about lovage

Discussion in 'Herb Gardening' started by marlingardener, Feb 7, 2011.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

I did a search on lovage, and saw a great picture posted by Netty, but not much information on its growing habit, requirements, and size.
    In my enthused daze of seed ordering, I ordered lovage. I'll plant it and probably love it, but I sure would appreciate some advice/information from someone who has grown it.

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. topper
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

That Lovage plant was in the herb garden at work. It has since vanished ... we had 2 very wet summers and it didn't like having wet feet. The only advice I can give you on this plant is give it full sun in rich soil and don't overwater. I have since tried to grow new from seed with no success and have unable to find young plants locally.
    I hope your seeds do better for you!

4. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

that's interesting netty! we were given some little Lovage plants by our neighbor over 20 years ago when we moved here and they were planted on a bank of a winter only creek and they did wonderfully for years till hubby mistakenly buried them with the tractor one spring trying to dig a culvert out.

mg, from my experience, Lovage is hard to kill once it's put in the ground. it grows like a weed. we never watered it or fertilized it. it multiplies very well, too.

last year i started some plants from seed and transplanted them to the herb garden. i really missed the Lovage when we lost it to the tractor! :D

5. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Bunkie, it's heartening to hear that lovage is so tough. I'll try to put it in at least two places, perhaps three, to assure that some survives our Texas heat.
    I'm really looking forward to using lovage in salads and cooking.