Talking Out Loud A Heck of A Dilemma!!!

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by hummerbum, Mar 8, 2017.

1. hummerbum

hummerbum Young Pine

This is how you know you have the gardening bug really, really bad!!!! As you all know, I live in an apartment and i now have tomato seedlings. Before i decided to grow tomatoes, i did get permission from the landlord to grow them in the back of the building. Well, while going out to check on the position of the sun for a few days, i forgot about the massive trees that are back there and the nice patch of sun that was shining through, is slowly dwindling to the shade of tree leaves (Oak and Maple at that). So needless to say, the growing conditions back there are null and void. So I thought about the strip of land (used as the apt. dump at times) that the lines run (easement). No go, because I can foresee something happening with the lines and they would crush the garden. No where to grow them in this neighborhood and the community garden is not close. Now i am just about forced to grow some of these plants in that room this summer. (Getting rid of more junk). I guess i could take a few of them to the extension office and let them grow there!! There is no way that i could grow all of them in that room. Thoughts, prayers, comments anyone?

2. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Do you know anyone from work or socially who has a yard and would let you have your tomatoes growing there? You could offer to let them have some of the tomatoes and whatever else you grow.

Cayuga Morning, Robin H and hummerbum like this.
  3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Try a local church with a spot of land, or even a day-care center. The congregation could share in the tomatoes, or if they end up at a day-care, the children could learn about growing vegetables.

Cayuga Morning, Robin H and hummerbum like this.
  4. hummerbum

hummerbum Young Pine

Wow great ideas ..I live next door to a church..we'll see!

Robin H likes this.

Advertisement
  5. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

Good advice, Marlingardener. I hope you can plant them at the church, hummer. Being so close would make them handy to care for. :like:

Robin H likes this.
  6. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

If there is a Senior Citizen Center, they might take an interest. A Township near us offers raised bed gardens for a fee. $15.00 per season I believe. Call your City Offices and ask if they have suggestions.

Cayuga Morning and hummerbum like this.
  7. hummerbum

hummerbum Young Pine

I found a home!!! Believe it or not, they are going to the oddest of places...the gym that i just started attending!! He has a nice sunny side area that is already fenced on one side and the gym wall on the other..we are going to put a fence up for the "gate". I showed him how i grew my own lettuce and he was amazed. I told him that of course I would share with those who come there, I just needed a place to put them. He just started making to go salads and they would be a wonderful addition!! Yayyyy!!!

8. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

That is great news! Where there is a will, there is a way.
    Still waiting for weather above freezing and an end to snow here.

9. mart

mart Strong Ash

Exercise and healthy eating ! Good combination for a gym.

10. hummerbum

hummerbum Young Pine

Nope gym didn't work out...no water!!! Pray that a lot comes available...please!!!

Sjoerd and Growingpains like this.
  11. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

12. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I found and read this thread out of sequence I think...so where areya at now? You have found a place, right? ...and what's the story on the lots?
    I am a bit confused now.:(

Growingpains and hummerbum like this.
  13. hummerbum

hummerbum Young Pine

No you are okay...youre on point. I'll come back to this one when I settle down...sorry. We are working on the new move!!

We found a place to live with a patio...i inquired about a lot last week. It could be soon or next year. I'm on the waiting list #7.
    But I do believe the patio will be just fine for them...we need the privacy..a lot of screen area for all to see...the maters should be just fine there until something come available.

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2017
  14. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Sjoerd, I'm relieved to find another confused gardener.

Sjoerd likes this.
  15. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Hee, hee, hee---thanks for shedding light on the subjects, Hummer. I should have found and read your postings in sequence.
    Anyway, now I can see where you are at.

Congrats on finding a new place to live...and with a patio.-- All right! That patio will give you some breathing room with your veg for a while.
    As I said, I shall be crossing everything for you to get a lottie...hopefully this year. Seventh place is not bad and gives you hope, eh?

Oh meid, I am so happy for you.

Growingpains and hummerbum like this.