Tarragon Question

Discussion in 'Herb Gardening' started by happyzinnia, May 21, 2011.

1. happyzinnia

happyzinnia Seedling

I started some taragon from seed and it is doing very well but it doesn't seem to have any flavor or even smell. Will that change when the plant gets older?
    So far it was in a pot but today I transplanted it in my herb corner. I've also been pinching it back and it has branched nicely.

2. Loading...

3. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

The true Tarragon does not grow from seed happyzinnia, so I'm afraid that your Tarragon will not get any flavor even with age. The 'good stuff' will only grow from cuttings.

4. happyzinnia

happyzinnia Seedling

Thank you so much Netty, no wonder the plants at the Nursery don't smell also and look like mine. Do you know where I can get a true plant? We are sort of in the hinterlands for a nice Garden shop since we are in the desert and a small town to boot.

5. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Look for Mexican Mint Marigold, whose botanical name is tagetes lucida. It is much more adapted to our climates, and has the same taste and culinary uses as the true tarragon. French tarragon can't stand our heat and humidity here in Texas, and Russian tarragon (which I suspect you have) is tasteless and invasive.
    Do a search for Mex. mint marigold, or tagetes lucida, and you will find on-line nurseries that sell it.

Advertisement
  6. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I went to look to see what i grew this year(it was seeds) because what I have is really flavorful, although I couldn't tell you what I thought the taste to be, it is the russian variety. I did not know there was french and russian tarragon, Thanks for enlightening us. Now I will have to find the true variety.

7. happyzinnia

happyzinnia Seedling

Thanks all. Now I know what to look for. Here in AZ we dont have a problem with humidity, just the opposite, we have hot dry winds. My herb bed is shaded in the afternoon. Thanks again.