The Chelsea Chop In Practice

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Sjoerd, Aug 15, 2014.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Back in the middle of june, I did "the Chelsea Chop" on the phloxes. Today they are at the top of their game and in the transition between the two blooming cycles.

The day of the chop:
    [​IMG]

When the first blooming began this second foto was taken. You can see the bloomers and the chopped stems in-between.
    [​IMG]

....and today. showing the fading first-bloomers and the blooming second second phase on the same plant.
    [​IMG]

This is the way that it is supposed to work. The blooming period will be stretched to the end of this month. That will mean approximately a two month blooming cycle for phlox.

Anyone who grows phlox knows that this is a very long time for the plant to bloom. I am enjoying this extended blooming no end.

Frank, eileen, Beeker and 4 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Ingenious! Any way to extend the blooming time for any plant helps!

4. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

That's very clever Sjoerd and the effect is quite stunning. Thanks for sharing.

5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

NETTY-- Thanks loads. Yes, you can do it with other plants as well... For instance the Sedum. You may want to experiment next year.

Thank you, FRANK-- I was especially pleased this year. I do this every year with various plants in my garden, but there was such a nice response this season, I thought I'd share it.

Every year I forget to take pics at the crucial moments, but this time I managed to remember to take them at the correct times.

purpleinopp likes this.