The comeback queens

Discussion in 'Hydrangea' started by toni, Mar 29, 2012.

1. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

This is an Endless Summer Hydrangea I bought on the sale table 3 falls ago. It sat in a pot getting moved around following the shade for two years, grew pretty good but never thrived.
    Last summer it almost bit the dust from the heat and drought but then as the weather cooled down some green shoots appeared so I put it in the ground. It stayed green all winter and has slowly started putting on some size.
    [​IMG]
    Endless Summer coming back ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

Never pass up a dead looking plant in the floral section of the grocery store. I found 4 Hydrangeas of various colors on sale the 99 cents each and just couldn't let them be trashed no matter how bad they looked. The blooms were dead and laying on the top of the soil, the leaves were huge, dark green and curling up from lack of water and the soil in the pots was so dry I couldn't get a knife into it. But after a really good soaking and some sweet talk 3 of them revived. Two have been planted and as soon as the Hosta in the north bed all show up I will know where I can plant the 3rd one.
    [​IMG]
    This one has grown nicely since this photo was taken ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Waiting for it's new home to be determined ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

[​IMG]
    This one really likes it's new home ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

I also bought 10 pots of mini-roses for 99 cents each also but that's for another post.

2. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Wow... great finds and great job on saving them from a certain death.

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Those hydrangeas were a really great bargain Toni. Over here they're expensive to buy so paying just 99 each each has me wishing I could find ones at that kind of price. They all look great with plenty of new growth. They must be so pleased it was you who picked them up and took them home with you. :stew1:

4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Gosh Toni--those are looking quite good. Mine are looking very,very sad this year. I believe that the hard wintertook it's toll. The stems have all brown and the flowerbuds at the end are crispy.

Ach well--I can enjoy seeing your success there.

Well done, you.

5. luvdirtyhands1

luvdirtyhands1 Seedling

Very nice. Those little hydrangeas look really healthy, now. I was given two tiny ones last spring & babied the heck out of them but neither survived. I've always wanted a hydrangea on the little hill behind my house, so I finally broke down & ordered one. I know it'll be a few years before it's a great big wonderful bush, but how fun it'll be to see it's progress year by year. Great job, toni!....and a great buy, too!