The garden is for plants, too!

Discussion in 'Gardening Other' started by marlingardener, Jul 22, 2011.

1. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

You are a bit more patient than I am, MG.... No doubt, this girl has fond memories of other gardens and seeks to recreate them. I hope she figures out the joy in making her own garden memories in her own space.... Trial and error and problem solving is part of the whole gardening adventure, in my opinion... which is, as Cheryl said, completely different from disregarding a plant's needs. It's interesting to try and figure out why something that OUGHT to grow well in my space won't thrive... Likewise, I wish I could figure out how to get some things to STOP growing where I don't want it to!

2. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Thanks, y'all--I'm a lot calmer now. I think what bothered me most was her having absolutely no consideration for the plants, it was all what she wanted.
    No, Cheryl, I wasn't red in the face, but it took about two hours for me to unclench my fists!

3. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

:D Oh, my! *wiping tears off cheek* Oh, yes, I've met some people like that too. Occasionally people stop by and chat when I work next to the road. They usually start with complimenting our garden and then continue with asking about the work involved. Our garden is easily maintained, but that's because of the amount of ground work before we planted and the choice of plants. I usually tell them I'm outside weeding or dead-heading for at least an hour per day. Every two-three years we have to renew the newspaper and bark chip cover too. We rarely spend time watering thanks to Mother Nature who loves my area so much she gives it a cleaning almost daily.

My experience is that people who throw themselves into gardening without bothering to acquire knowledge often give in after a couple of years.