The Good Day All Thread

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Frank, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Good Saturday morning all. Currently 15°C and clear. Its going to be another scorcher today, as well as tomorrow. I have lots of canning to do and so I've been bugging hubby for an outdoor kitchen :rolleyes: Don't think its going to happen but it sure would be nice! Have a great day all :)

2. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

My son came and connected and set up my new computer today so I'm back in business or pleasure as might be. He's going to put a new hard drive in the old computer so we can use it offline or reconnect whichever we decide. We do have a connection in the other rooms, too. It is still in 80's here right now and it says it will be 80's tomorrow too but rain for tomorrow afternoon and all day on Labor Day and some on each day for the rest of the week. I think summer is over and fall is trying to work it's way into our life. dooley

3. Netty

Good Sunday morning all. Currently 20°C and clear. Another heat advisory is in effect today, and still no rain. I'd better get out there and water! Took my son back to his dorm at college yesterday ... it was a day earlier than we expected. Seems he got the move in date wrong and so off we went. Seems odd that he isn't here ... I guess that will take a while to get used to again. 2 more days and my youngest is back to school. I am still trying to figure out where the summer went! Clean up and baking today, and watering the gardens. Have a great day all :)

4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Morning all...still 97-100 degrees here with no rain. Supposed to be a cool front moving through in a few days dropping the temps down into the 80's with a 40% chance of scattered thunderstorms. Only a 40% chance and they are supposed to be scattered....not much chance of them being over my garden with those odds.

Dog sitting the grand-dog this weekend, oldest daughter is in Arizona with a school group, youngest daughter and both grandsons are in downtown Dallas at an Anime convention and today we will start building the shelves for our bedroom to replace the dresser and chest of drawers.

Advertisement
  5. Netty

Good Monday morning all. Currently 22°C feeling like 28°C. The humidity is making it feel crazy hot for 5am! I am off to work on this Labor Day holiday to water, water, WATER! I do hope we get some rain soon! Have a great day all :)

6. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Good afternoon all! My father just started cutting the barley for this year. Quite a few big fields and this may be the last chance to save it this year. We may get rain later in the week.
    Have a top start to your week all!

7. toni

Morning all. Temp made it to 100 degrees yesterday and probably will again today, but I am on a countdown to Wednesday when a front is supposed to get here and drop the temps down into the upper 80's to low 90's and a really good chance of rain for the whole area has crept into the forecast.

I have so many plans of changes in the gardens this fall, completely digging up three areas out back and two out front, moving or getting rid of some plants and just changing the look of most all of it. Have not been able to actually work in the yard since mid-May and my hands are itching to get dirty. My knees not so much, but they are in dire need of the exercise.

8. Netty

Good Tuesday morning all. Currently 21°C and overcast. Its going to be another scorcher today, feeling bad for all the kids heading back to school today. I don't know about schools where you live, but ours don't have air conditioning and it gets mighty HOT in those upstairs class rooms! Chance of thunderstorms later, we sure need the rain. I have the day off today, and I'm headed to the car dealer to have a recall done on my car. Have a great day all :)

9. toni

Morning all. Granddog went home yesterday afternoon, grandsons and youngest daughter are all back from the Anime convention in Dallas, oldest daughter is back from the school trip and daily routines are returning to normal. Randy has conference calls all day, I did laundry yesterday, the street construction is way around the corner on another street so it's pretty quiet out there for the first time since March 30th. Sunday the temp was 100, yesterday it was 101, today might reach 100 again. Maybe some rain and cooler temps starting tomorrow but they are only forecasting maybe half an inch, not the rain event I was hoping for to end this hot and dry summer. Very probably I will not be out working in the yard afterall.
    School starts in early to mid August down here now-a-days, and August being our hottest month of the year with typically the most number of days with 100+ temps of the summer, all schools have air conditioning. None of them did when I was in school but by Sept when school started way back then, the temps were usually only in the 95-99 degree range :eek: and besides that air conditioning was almost unheard of except for a few businesses.

Netty likes this.
  10. Frank

Good morning all! Spent yesterday with my folks bringing in trailer loads of newly-made square bales from the fields. We had wonderful sunny weather and today promises to be just as good. However there is a break in the good weather coming tomorrow so we are rushing to get things done.

Have a brilliant Wednesday all!

11. Netty

Good Wednesday morning all. Currently 22°C feeling like 30°c. The rain relief didn't come yesterday as promised, and so another day of watering ahead. Having to start work 30 minutes later today due to the darkness. Gosh I hate this time of year! Have a great day all!

12. toni

Good morning all. Not a great rain event overnight/early this morning, just barely 1/2 inch in the gauge. The rain barrels are full again thankfully. Randy just came in and said that the rain was coming down really heavy and the wind was blowing so there might be more that hit the ground than made it into the gauge.
    Now if we could get a couple of weeks of that it might save some plants. You should see the grass and plants along the roadsides, all brown and crunchy and the plantings on the side of the major tollway are all Texas natives...so you know the lack of rain has been bad.

Oncologist visit this afternoon, routine blood letting for tests. I am on a 6 month schedule now and he said I would probably progress to a once a year after next March.

13. Netty

Good Thursday morning all. Currently 12°C and clear. It sure is dark in the morning when I get up now, and I noticed it is dark just past 8pm. Oh how I will miss the long days of summer! Off to work, and then back to the car dealer tonight for a door repair. Maybe we will finally find some shoes for my daughter at the mini mall tonight - no one seems to have had size 8 lately! Have a great day all :)

14. Frank

Good afternoon all! The good weather is actually continuing today after we were promised rain. Seems like that is delayed until tomorrow. We managed to get all of the square straw bales home, around 600 of them. I must say it's challenging to get anything online these days since we are rushing around so much.
    Have a top Thursday all :flower:

15. toni

Good morning all and I emphasize the good because it RAINED yesterday, on my garden...front and back....twice....lots of it....more rain than July and August added together.
    My rain gauge is now holding 3 inches of the glorious wet stuff. And there was thunder and lightning so the plants got a good nitrogen fix at the same time.

Today and tomorrow will be hot again but Saturday and Sunday the temps will start in the mid-60's and only get into the low 80's. I have my work for those two days all planned out. All the plants in the 1st bed will be moved to pots, compost will be liberally troweled into the whole thing, mulch will be laid on top and some of the plants will be returned while others will find new homes in other beds. But mainly that bed will become more a medicinal/cooking herb bed and some veggies.

I am soooo excited to finally get back into the dirt, it's been a long 4 months inside.

Chrisle and Frank like this.