The Good Day All Thread

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Frank, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Good Tuesday morning all. Currently 14°C and clear. The mornings are getting darker, and soon I will have to start work later. It's going to be a hot one today, and I will need to do some watering. It's my turn to pick up the kids from skating camp this afternoon, and hopefully I will have time to do a bit of shopping first. Have a great day all :)

2. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Good morning all. We are in a lull between rain systems....that's a very strange thing for me to say in August and the high temps are staying the low to mid 90's....that's extremely strange for August in my part of Texas. I am really liking the break and hopefully by the time Mother Nature realizes what's been happening here it will actually be too late in the year for 100 deg temps. Who am I kidding, we have had 100+ temps well into Sept and even as late as October 3rd. But maybe not this year.

I ordered two books I heard about on a program called Well Read that is on our PBS station on Sunday mornings, one should be here today so I think I will spend tomorrow reading instead of digging up information about ancestors. Today I think I will stick a Rosemary and Thyme DVD into the player and knit, I have a long list of holiday gifts to get working on. Or better yet maybe Armageddon, that's a good knitting movie.

3. TheBip

TheBip Young Pine

Morning all! Its a beautiful 63° currently, supposed to get up to 82° later. Sunny and nary a cloud in the sky.
    My only set plans for today are to go to my weekly chiropractic appt and try to repair a leak in the roof after the bf gets home from work. Thinking about heading to JoAnn Fabrics after my appt. I want to finish my dress (just a few adjustments ) and make the underdress, if I can find a nice fabric.
    Might try to get some gardening done if the blasted cornflies stay out of my way :)

4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Mowing today--long overdue. With all the rain we've been getting our lawn is beginning to look like a very successful hay field. I want to get out and get at it before the day heats up, but the grass is too wet, so this afternoon I'll be wet because the grass is dry!
    Made a salmon mousse yesterday, so that's lunch. Dinner may be jambalaya from the freezer, or chicken piccata, depending on how much "oomph" I have after mowing.

Advertisement
  5. Netty

Good Wednesday morning all. Currently 14°c and clear. Just have to get over 'the hump' today, and the count down is on for the weekend. May do some dress shopping with my daughter, and of course back to school shopping. School starts in 2 weeks, hard to believe summer is almost over. Have a great day all :)

6. toni

Good morning all. The temperatures are still hanging around what is considered normal for us in August....mid-upper 90's and it is certainly great compared to the first 12 days of the month with 100 - 107 temps.

School used to start in early Sept around here but with the 2 additional week-long holidays (Thanksgiving week and Spring Break) they have added over the years, it now has to start around the middle of August to get in the number of school days the state requires ....here it started yesterday.

7. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

Sunny and hot here with a breeze but still a lovely day.

8. Netty

Good Thursday morning all. Currently 14°c and clear. Looks like we had some light rain overnight. There is a chance of thunderstorms today, and we really do need some rain.
    Off to work today, and still trying to control all the weeds that popped up after the last rain. There are also shrubs that need trimming and perennials to deadhead. A busy day ahead!
    Have a great day all :)

9. Netty

Good Friday morning all, and TGIF! Currently 12°C and clear. No thunderstorms afterall, and so today will be a day of dragging hoses. I look forward to sleeping in tomorrow. Have a great day all :)

10. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

This is the day I dread--high school football starts. There will be nothing on the news except football until the season is over. Even the weather reports give the projected temperatures at start time, half-time, and when the game is over. Then until Wednesday there are endless analyses of who did what and what they should have done. On Thursday the match-ups, player profiles, and coach interviews start.
    Thank heavens I can escape to my garden, commune with my hens, and listen to CDs until this footballmania is over.

Netty likes this.
  11. Raddang

Raddang In Flower

In the South East UK we continue to get our late summer. Temperature in the low thirties and this is forecast to continue for at least the next few days. Quite a violent storm at around 3 am this morning but it is still humid. A pre-occupation for Brits is talking about the weather so mustn't grumble ;)

12. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

Hot here as in "really" hot. Low 30 degree range. Not much humidity but it IS HOT :(

13. Netty

Good Saturday morning all. Currently 12°C and clear. The air is starting to feel rather 'fall' like, and even though it is going to be hot today, it feels different.
    We are off shortly to do some back to school shopping, and look for dresses to wear to the wedding. I hate dress shopping so I hope I find something quick.

14. toni

Randy will most likely have to have cataract surgery on his right eye next month. Arrrggg, that means I will have to learn to drive the land yacht we bought back in May.....oh, yeah that also means he has to have surgery :oops: bummer.

Islandlife, I'll trade your low 30c range for our 95-110f (35-43c). One reason I am so jealous of 2ofus having the first frost of the season. I wish I could feel fall in the air, it's beginning to feel more like summer again after the short rainy and cloudy break we have had for 2 weeks.

Jane, you have lived in Texas long enough to become immune to the Friday night high school football frenzy for the first 3 months of school. But I guess in a small town with only one high school it is pretty intense. We have two seperate TV stations that report on high school football almost 24\7 and I don't watch those....it's the pro-football games I get really tired of hearing about.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
  15. Netty

Good Sunday morning all. Currently 19°C and sunny. We had a little bit of drizzle overnight, but not enough to actually water anything. Small chance of thunderstorms today, but I am not holding my breath for rain so I will be watering today. My daughter and I went dress shopping for the wedding yesterday, and we both said yes to a dress! Now to find shoes ugh.