The Good Day All Thread

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Frank, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Good Sunday morning all. Currently just 4°C and windy. The sun is shining at least, but the wind has been blowing for a few days now and it is COLD! I spent most of yesterday cleaning house and doing laundry. This house has gotten to be such a mess this season, and I can't wait to be done work so I can get this house back in order!
    More cleaning today and a quick trip to the store. I forgot to get milk and bread! Have a great day all :)

2. Netty

Good Monday morning all. Currently just 2°C with a high of only 10°C expected today. Off to work, for what I hope is the last week. We are moving along well with fall cleanup and if the weather co-operates we should be done by the end of the week. I look forward to that as the weather isn't ideal gardening weather anymore. Have a great day all :)

3. Netty

Good Tuesday morning all. Currently just 2°C and windy, with a high of only 6°C expected today. My co-worker just called in sick so it looks like I am working alone today.
    Up late last night so I am a little tired. I hope the rain holds out until after work. This is NOT the kind of weather I enjoy gardening in!
    Have a great day all :)

4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Hopped out of bed, ready to put on my gardening jeans and go weed. Surprise! The clear skies and 60-70 degree weather was actually heavy fog and low 60's. I may have to have a serious talk with our local weather forecaster.
    I did get the weeding done, just a bit later than I had hoped. This afternoon is baking French rolls and washing and bagging Arugula. The bags will go to the hair salon for those adventurous people who will try something different!

Advertisement
  5. Netty

Good Wednesday morning all. Currently just 1°C and clear. I am so NOT ready for these temperatures, and tonight we are going to get our first snow flurries!
    I have my 'woolies' on and am headed to work for another day of fall cleanup. Have a great day all :)

6. Netty

Good Thursday morning all. Currently -1°C and windy. Thankfully I haven't seen any snow falling yet, but it might still come.
    Not ideal gardening weather, but today we are finishing off the fall cleanup at work. I am dressed like Nanook of the North, so it might be a little hard to move haha
    Cant wait for tonight to come home and cozy up in front of the woodstove.

7. Netty

Good Friday morning all. Currently -2°C and clear. The ground is white with snow!
    It's going to be another chilly day out in the gardens, but we will wrap up the fall cleanup today. I look forward to finishing up and being home again.
    I have so much to do at home, I won't even know where to start!

8. Netty

Good Sunday morning all. Currently 7°C and raining.
    Up bright an early this morning, I couldn't sleep any longer. Lots to do this morning, and a baby shower this afternoon.

9. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Good morning all. Hubby had his first cataract surgery last Thursday and is already seeing things at a distance that he hasn't been able to see without glasses since he was 14. The other eye gets worked on next Thursday. He is so looking forward to not having to wear glasses.
    Still hotter than usual and dry as dust around here. Supposedly we have two more days of near 90 deg temps then they drop down into the 70s for a few days but there is still no forecast of even a slightly good rain chance or actual fall like temps.

Frank likes this.
  10. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Toni, congratulate Randy on being able to see better at this early date after surgery, and let him know we wish him well on next Thursday.
    I'm taking it easy today--deadheading roses, cutting and washing some arugula, and baking herb bread. Sundays are the day I do what I want, even if something else needs doing!

11. Netty

Good Monday morning all! Currently just 1°C and clear. We had another heavy frost last night and so gardening is almost over for this year. I have some clean up to do and some bulbs to plant but that's it. The garden ornaments have to be put away and the water turned off. Then my inside fall clean up begins!

12. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Happy Halloween to y'all! We don't decorate or dress up for Halloween, nor do we pass out candy (trying to find our house would tire out the trick-or-treaters) but we do enjoy seeing all the children's costumes in the local paper next week.
    I pruned back the tree limbs that were overhanging the path to the gardens in back of the barn, and my dear husband tilled up the old garlic bed, which will be a tomato bed next spring.
    It's currently 71 degrees with a light breeze (sorry, Netty!) and I'll finish the dead-heading this afternoon, I hope! We have rain in the forecast for tomorrow, and I have all fingers and toes crossed that the prediction is right.

13. Evil Roy

Evil Roy In Flower

For those interested, the cataract surgery was almost anticlimactic. I was apprehensive the morning of the surgery (After all, someone was about to poke me in the eye with a very sharp little stick), but decided it was too late to back out. The staff was very friendly and efficient, joked with me, brought me a warm blanket (too warm, I had to take it off to keep from sweating), hooked me up to an EKG and blood pressure machine, put on a nasal canula (a tube for oxygen that rests on your upper lip with little tubes that point up into your nose), started an IV, and made sure I was comfortable. The anaesthesiologist dropped by and we discussed my resistance to the knock out drops. It takes a large dose and they wear off quickly. Shortly after that they wheeled me into the room for the procedure, cleaned my eye a dozen different ways, taped my head to the table, started the oxygen, and gave me the "I don't remember a thing" juice. I knew they started the knockout drops when I felt a coolness in my arm. I mentioned to the anaesthesiologist that it was kind of pleasant since I was a little warm. He said most people claim that they must keep it in the freezer, but it was actually room temperature. The next words I heard were "We're all done." They wheeled me out, and brought Toni in so she could pull the truck around and we could leave. They wouldn't let me drive home for some reason. I have a pile of eye drops to use before and after the surgery, a list of restrictions until things heal, and an excuse to avoid heavy lifting for a while (we made a mulch and topsoil run before the surgery). The only pain afterwards was the feeling that something was in my eye, the result of the incision, and that was taken care of with over the counter drops, along with some fairly painful light sensitivity the next day, that was taken care of by staying in the dark. If you're putting off having it done because of the horror stories of the past, things have changed a lot. Talk to the doctor, see what procedure he uses, and prepare to be able to see your plants (this'll keep it gardening related) in their glorious full color again. My left eye made everything look yellowed, my right makes it brownish. The left eye sees vibrant colors now, the right will next week.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I took the left lens out of my glasses Friday since I don't need it anymore. This Friday, I can take out the other one. :snicker:

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
    Frank likes this.
  14. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Good morning all and Happy Halloween. I didn't decorate this year, mainly because most of my decorations are battery powered and move in an attractive way according to the cat. :rolleyes: and I really didn't want to since the weather has not been conducive to getting into the Halloween mood. I do have some of my witch collection out but then they stay scattered around the house year round cause I like them.

15. Netty

My Hubby also had cataract surgery a few years ago. He was also very apprehensive, but he did well and can see perfectly again. He made a good joke when he first looked at me and said I looked alot different the last time he 'saw' me 25 years before LOL
    Good Tuesday morning all. Currently 3°C with clear skies, and warming up to 19°C later today. I am going to take advantage and do some outside work today.