The Good Day All Thread

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Frank, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Good Wednesday morning all. Currently 0°C and clear. What a night we had ... gale force winds, snow, freezing rain, rain ... I didn't get a good night sleep to say the least!
    I should have worn my skates on my dog 'walk' this morning! Today, I will need to re-stock my wood supply in the house, but I will need to wait until my pathway to the shed melts.
    My daughter has another snow day today and is home, so I may put her to work too. Have a great day all :)

2. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

It rained all day here yesterday and froze as it hit the ground. Ice is everywhere. It is supposed to warm up today and melt a bit. We didn't go outside at all yesterday and may not go out today unless a lot of it melts. They do a good job of clearing sidewalks and streets here so maybe later today we can get out. dooley

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Blustery, to say the least, winds today. We went to the Waco Zoo for its first ever Parents and Paws Day. They had the baby black-handed gibbon out swinging in the trees, talks and keeper demonstrations with the Sumatran tiger, orangutan, raptors, and a behind-the-scenes tour of the animals kept for education trips to schools, etc.
    We had a super morning talking to the keepers and learning about the animals and birds they care for. We told the raptor keepers that we had two resident Caracaras in our pasture, and they were excited--a pair, and this far north!
    Wish the wind would calm down--I have a lot of garden work to do and time is growing shorter for doing the needed tasks.

4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Good afternoon all. Got out back for a couple of hours and cut down the really sadly brown colored perennials. I wanted to sweep fallen leaves off the front sidewalk but realized that if I wait it out, with this wind they will be a few houses up the block and I won't have to bother with them.

I have an extensive number of garden (and other) photos on my computer all sorted by month and year. I have a Dr. appt on Friday and last year the young whippersnapper of a P.A. asked if I did any exercise, when I answered "I garden" she gave me a blank look and again asked if I exercised. :rolleyes: So yesterday I went through all my photo folders to find the best before and after shots of the front yard, back yard and side yard to show her what I mean when I say "I garden".
    Trouble is that while looking at the way the garden looked in the past I started yearning for it to look like that again. I guess that means I will be redoing much of it this year....even more than I could get done last year.

Advertisement
  5. Netty

Good Friday morning all. Currently -5°C and windy. I was under dressed for my dog walk this morning, and so I am having a hot tea and am sitting with a warm blanket. Brrrr!
    Did my shopping and errands yesterday. I had trouble getting all the groceries put away as there just wasn't room for all of it! Freezer is full, fridge and pantry are full too. I guess I can hibernate now ... wake me when spring gets here! Have a great day all :)

6. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Good Sat. Morning all. Todays temp is suppose to get up to a balmy 22 degrees. Yesterday it only got up to 10 above. My honey's family had their annual Christmas Tree hopping get together yesterday Burrrrrrrit. Its a progressive thing and because he has 8 siblings we do only 4 homes each year. But by the time you get to the last home you can hardly wiggle because you have eaten WAY to much food.

It started at 10:30am with brunch at one sisters home. She made 2 different egg bake dishes, one with spinach and one with asparagus. Then she made a cheesy potato and sausage bake dish. She also had a fresh fruit salad that was yummy, and for dessert she made a Blue Berry coffee cake. :setc_092: It went so well with the coffee.

Then it was on to the second house of one of his brothers. His wife served horderves. We had small croissants with chicken salad or ham salad on them. Ham roll ups with cream cheese and fresh asparagas. Rum balls and Bourbon balls for a dessert and hot butter Rum punch. Then we did a white elephant gift exchange. That is so much fun to see what crazy gifts everyone finds to give each other. We took a deck of cards and took out all of one suit. Then you picked a card and the low card started. You picked a gift from the pile (there was 11 of us) and opened it. Then the next person could either pick a wrapped gift or take what the person before them had opened.

And so it goes until all the gifts are opened and we have some great laughs. Then it was on to his next brothers home for dessert. :setc_092::setc_092: His wife had made a Chocolate and carmel poke cake and a Coconut cream cake. Plus molasses cookies, and macadamia nut cookies. All washed down with more coffee. This year we only had 3 homes to go to as one brother in-law died and his sister didn't feel like having everyone over.

We where home by 4:30pm and feeling rather rolly-polly from all of our feasting. Today we are taking it easy. But do need to head into town for some sunflower chips for our birds and squirrels we are feeding. Happy Day to you all. :setc_034:

7. toni

Good afternoon all.
    Yesterday the Dr. did ask if I exercised at all so I started pulling photos from the folder showing her all the before, in progress and after photos of front, side and back yards and ended with the photo of the kneeling pad, trowel, gloves and weed bucket (the only tools I have used on the side and front gardens, the back yard I had to use a heavy duty garden fork to get into the compacted black clay). She agreed that was more exercise than most of her other patients. Since I only see her one a year I will probably have to remind of those that next year.

Today is chilly and damp, looks like the sun might be trying to lighten things up out there but hopefully will not prevail, we have more than enough sunny days during the year, Mother Nature needs to play nice and let me have a bunch of cloudy days for a change.

8. Netty

Good Sunday morning all. Currently -4°C and sunny. My daughter and I are up early and on our way down for a surprise visit to my parents in the city. Probably take them shopping and visit for a bit and then head to the mall on the way home. It's going to be a busy day! Have a great day all :)

9. cajuncappy

cajuncappy In Flower

Good morning yall!! heavy dence fog this am but soon as it burns off we planning to play in the yard do some pruning and picking up and brush burning and such we are actually excited to do it. Play in the yard day!! :headbang::smt045

10. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Cajun, we have fog also, can't even see the pond! If it burns off our bird watching count will go up. If not, Cornell U. is going to think we took the day off.
    It's not too chilly, so this afternoon I'll go clean up the potting area in the barn and talk to the ladies. We got 14 eggs yesterday, and I have about 5 dozen in the refrigerator. Monday is egg delivery day (whether people want them or not!).

11. Netty

Good Monday morning all. Currently -5°C and sunny. Off to the laundromat, hopefully for the last time. We have had lots of precipitation and so I like to think the well is filling up some.
    I do like to go though, because I get it ALL done in less than 2 hours instead of taking the entire day, and there are always nice people there. Skating tonight and tomorrow we are supposed to get another freezing rain storm. Have a great day all :)

12. Netty

Good Tuesday morning all. Currently -3°C and freezing rain. The school buses are cancelled today due to the icy conditions. My dog walk was very tricky too, but I made it home without falling. I think the rest of the day will be spent indoors! I might go thru my cookbooks and try a new recipe or two, its just that kind of day. Have a great day all :)

13. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Good day to you all! I finally found some beef bones for broth, so I have the beginnings of minestrone soup--bones roasting in the oven.
    While filling the waterer for the hens this morning, I managed to let the bucket slip, and came back to the house with jeans wet from the knees down. Chilly!
    There's a new Tex-Mex restaurant in town that we are going to try for lunch. Why, oh why, doesn't someone here open a nice French cafe? Guess I'll just have to make a quiche for dinner tonight to get my "French fix."

Sjoerd likes this.
  14. toni

Good morning all. Not much rain yesterday, but the 1.5 inches the day before will take a while to soak in so that's still good. Found out there were 4 confirmed tornadoes in the area Sunday, with two closer to me being investigated to determine if they really hit the ground. Yep, we have had tornadoes in every month (not all in this year but over the 100+ years of record keeping) so for us there is no definitely defined tornado season.

Jane, oh please do not ask that question out in the open in the middle of any small Texas town....being laughed at is not a pleasant experience.:eek:

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
    marlingardener and Sjoerd like this.
  15. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I had to chuckle, Jane.
    It is hard to get my head around...because that cuisine is fairly common over here.
    What a difference an ocean can make.