The Good Day All Thread

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Frank, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Good Tuesday morning all. Currently 2°C and cloudy. The February melt down continues, with the rest of the week expected to be above the freezing point, and the snow is disappearing quickly. The good news is that the groundwater level is up and so our well is full! Our well water has been is short supply since last fall, after the driest summer in over 50 years. Our sump pump has now started running as well and I've never been so happy to hear it! I'm home alone today, for the first time in weeks, and so I am going to take advantage and do some deep cleaning. Have a great day all :)

2. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Netty, I'm so happy for you, hearing the sump pump! I hope your drought is over and done. When we had a drought a few years back, car dealerships were selling windshield wipers as an option.
    We had 1 1/4" of rain yesterday, so it's too damp for me to get into the gardens. I'll do a bit of pruning, though. Our Mexican Buckeye thinks it's a shrub. I think it's a tree.

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Good morning all. Only a little less than an inch of rain here but the temps are staying comfy....almost 70 and it's 2:30 pm. A couple of days in the 80's ahead....one day last week we hit 89 deg...I was not a happy person.
    Laundry almost done (leftover from yesterday when I forgot to finish it) worked out back now I am going to sit and read for the rest of the day. Randy goes out to supper with some SASS friends of his so he will bring supper home to me later....I like Tuesdays, I very seldom have to cook on Tuesdays.

4. Netty

Good Wednesday morning all. Currently 3°C and very foggy. A lot of the snow is melting away, and today's high is expected to hit 9°C and so more will melt. Tomorrow weatherman is calling for 11°C and some rain, and so that should take care of most of it. Looking ahead, we are expecting snow on the weekend, but at least that will be nice clean, white snow. The stuff that's left here now is rather dirty looking. With the drought unofficially over, I am actually looking forward to gardening this summer. Last years attempts were heartbreaking, and so I look forward to getting out there and having a garden again. Have a great day all :)

Advertisement
  5. toni

Good morning all. Glad you have water now Netty, I know exactly how hard it is to garden without water. I did find out over the last three+ years which plants I shouldn't have planted for this area, maybe this next summer will be happier with them gone.
    We are not under drought conditions yet but are still in the Abnormally Dry area, Moderate Drought is just a few miles away (literally) but could move into my area by April if March is as dry as the last 4 months have been.

I think I will be reading today, too much bending, lifting and hauling yesterday has my back and legs starting to complain every time I head towards the back door.

6. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Seventy-seven degrees, and thanks to my over-achieving husband, we have the scent of newly mown grass wafting in the house's open windows from the back yard being mowed. The chickens are arranging the grass clippings in their coop--oh happy day for the hens!
    Husband mowed the barn lot, orchard area, and front yard yesterday on the riding mower, and got a bit of a sunburn. He's so cute in pink!

7. toni

Good afternoon all. I was going to get out in the front yard to start making the rain garden sorta place for the Canna but since I really overslept it was too warm and sunny in that area....maybe tomorrow.
    I have been yarn shopping for a couple of xmas gifts and listening to the music I have on my computer. Listening to the Fifth Dimension right now. Probably ought to be figuring out what to thaw for supper but if I put that off then I will have an excuse for....who am I kidding I don't have to have an excuse to tell Randy we are going out to eat.

8. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

It was warm and in the 60's here in Wisconsin the last week and I think everyone thought winter was over early this year. lol It is still the last week in February. It was 67 yesterday and I don't think it made 40 today and it was windy and cloudy. There is a 90% chance of snow/rain or a mix of the two tonight and tomorrow with a high temp of 30 tomorrow. Back to long sleeve shirts and winter coat. No 60's in the forecast this next week. dooley

9. Netty

Good Friday morning all. Currently 4°C and raining. We broke a record yesterday ... the temperature went all the way up to 17°C! Most of the snow is gone now, and the sump pump is running like crazy. I did notice, on my morning dog walk, that underneath the snow there was a lot of garbage in the ditches. Tomorrow we will bring along a bag and pick it all up.
    Lost an envelope somewhere in my house yesterday, and so my mission today is to find it! Have a great day all :)

10. SylvieB

SylvieB New Seed

Good morning and TGIF, everyone :) After a warm-up of almost 60 earlier in the week it's now back down to 16f. Brr! I'm okay though, because the sun is out and the first day of Spring is only 24 days away!

Frank likes this.
  11. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

A sunny but brisk day today--windy as usual and temps topping out at 60. We went shopping and I came home with a dozen Celebrity and a dozen Roma tomato plants. They are easy to find at stores and nurseries, so I don't use my limited space to start my own.
    I'm putting chicken to marinate for Jerk Chicken on the grill tomorrow (that is if the grill doesn't blow away!) If the wind keeps up I may have to put the grill in the barn. The hens will have a lesson in what happens to hens that don't lay eggs:smt077!

12. Netty

Good Monday morning all. Currently -3°C and mostly cloudy. It was a busy weekend, but I did manage to get over to the seed swap hosted by the Horticultural Society. I was hoping to trade for some seeds of some things I saw on the garden tour last year, and I was successful! A few new heirloom tomatoes, Black Russian and Awesome Blue caught my eye and this year I get to try them! Today I'll be cleaning house, and if it gets warm enough outside, I may even start windows! HAve a great day all :)

13. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

It was cloudy all day but turned sunny for a bit before it got dark. But, it's going to start raining later and rain during the night and into the morning with maybe some snow showers toward evening and into Wednesday. Weekend coming back into 40's and sunny. Weather can't seem to make up it's mind these days. Hope you all had a good day! dooley

14. toni

Good afternoon all. Our roller coaster weather is continuing. Today and tomorrow in the 80's which will make 8 of those stinkers for the month of February. And the month will end as the all time warmest February in the 115 years of weather record keeping here in the DFW area. WooHoo boy am I thrilled to be living in the area that sets that record. :crying:

15. Netty

Good Tuesday morning all. Currently -3°C and sunny. Our roller coaster weather continues as well. We had snow 2 days ago, 6°C and sunshine yesterday, 8°C and sunshine today. On Wednesday we are to reach temperatures of 14°C (which is unheard of here in February!) with rain and by the weekend it will dip down to a low of -14°C! I'm going to try to enjoy the warm days with a bit of yard clean up, and if it rains I'll start doing windows. I'd like to have spring cleaning done before spring gets here so I can enjoy spring out in the gardens! Have a great day all :)