The Good Day All Thread

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Frank, Aug 2, 2006.

1. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Good morning all. I might get out in the garden to do some catching up on Saturday but until then it is to be in the mid-90s and that means I am an insider until then. Might be raining on the weekend but I would much rather work in the garden getting rained on than being soaked by sweat that brings on the mosquitoes.

2. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Just got in from trimming the root stock sprouts from the apple trees, and removing a dead limb from one of the almond trees. The limb had been attacked by a boring insect, so I gave both almonds a good dose of neem oil, hoping that will take care of the problem.
    Picked beans after my trimming episode, and Toni is right. I'm soaked, and it isn't raining. However, in comparison to my husband I'm just slightly damp! It's 9:30 a.m. and we both need another shower (the inside kind with soap). The temp is only in the high 80's so far, but so is the humidity!

3. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Good Thursday morning all. Currently 10°C and clear. Rain is in the forecast for this afternoon and so I've got to work hard to get everything done before then.
    Some of my heat loving plants aren't doing too well with this cool and wet weather!
    No sign of bunnies this morning, that is a good thing.
    Have a great day all :)

4. Netty

Ahhh, Friday at last!! It's been a long week and I am ready for the weekend!
    Currently 19°C and pouring rain. Sump pump is running every few minutes so I must have rained a LOT.
    Off to work to assemble and put out 2 outdoor fireplaces. If it doesn't stop raining after that I will come home. I need an extended weekend!

Advertisement
  5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Friday.... I don't really have beginnings or endings of a week... they just all blend together and I get Sunday mostly off. Baking bread today for a market tomorrow. and it rained. hip hip hooray. we were soooo dry. I can work in the high tunnel though as soon as I am done with the bread.

6. Netty

Good Saturday morning all! Currently 19°C with sunshine and a strong breeze. Yesterdays rain got me most of the day off, and so I was able to come home and get the floors mopped, kitchen and living room cleaned, and the laundry started. Then the rain stopped and the sun came out! Out I went to the garden to weed ... all this rain is making the weeds very happy!
    Today, more laundry to do and maybe a trip to the greenhouse - all the weeding I did yesterday made more room in the garden for flowers :)

7. toni

Good morning all. The rain storm rumbled over us for about an hour or so right after midnight, Wizard is afraid of thunder so I had to stay up with him until it moved on. Then another line of storms rolled in about 5 a.m....not as loud as the earlier one so Wizard slept right through it and the rain has been steady since then...but light.
    There is 1.65 inches in the gauge and that doesn't count what the wind blew sideways during the 1st storm. But I am happy, this is the first rain event that has created puddles, meaning the ground water level is higher than it has been in almost a year, if not longer.

Netty and Odif like this.
  8. Netty

Good Sunday morning all. Currently 15°C and cloudy. I slept in today!
    I picked up a few plants yesterday, so I will get to plant them today. I also still have a Rose shrub to plant somewhere, and tomato seedlings to pot up. So many things to do in the garden, but weatherman says we will get rain this afternoon. I have lots to do inside too. A busy day ahead! Have a great day all :)

9. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

It didn't make it up to 70 today and was cloudy and windy. No rain as yet though. I thought I was done wearing a jacket or sweatshirt when we went outside. Wisconsin is sure cooler than Texas or Arizona.

10. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Dooley, so good to hear from you! We had rain last night and this morning, with temps in the 70's. It was nice to have the house open for a good while, but needed the AC this afternoon. After things dried out a bit I picked some tomatoes and a few cucumbers.

11. Netty

Good Monday morning all. Currently just 9°C and cloudy. No rain here yesterday, but there were thunderstorms and hail all around us.
    Off to work, where I am sure the Roses will be a mess, and the weeds will be running amok.

12. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Good day all! I am sorely technology challenged. Today I am trying to change my photo taking so I can click & post. ( With the aid of a v-e-r-y patient hubbie) (he deserves multiple kudos).
    IMG_20170626_095046.jpg

This is a photo of an unnamed daylily. It may be 'Madge Cayse'. I'll know better when it blooms. At its feet is Lysimachia nummularia 'Aurea' better known as Creeping Jenny. I love this little creeper. It is great in pots, at the feet of another plant; good foliage contrast. My advice though is to keep it out of your garden because it RUNS there instead of creeping.

Did I say I have a very patient & helpful hubbie??

13. toni

Good morning all. I am pretty sure that I did not sleep through last nights weather report on the TV but I might have since I missed the word RAIN in today's forecast. Woke up to a nice steady rain that lasted about an hour and left another .20 of an inch in the gauge. So much for doing some digging and planting this morning but yea!!!! we have more rain in the month of June. I was not looking forward to 2+ hours of dragging the hose around watering front, back and side gardens this morning....you know it's dry when the Lantana starts coughing and spitting dust.

Netty and Cayuga Morning like this.
  14. Netty

Good Tuesday morning all. Currently 9°C and cloudy. More rain in the forecast today.
    Off to work, where the battle of the weeds has only just begun. Why is it, that rain makes the weeds grow huge and slugs eat the crops? If only it was the other way around.

15. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I am off to work too. Cloudy here too. We are hoping for clearing. Hubbie & I hope to bike this afternoon.
    Here is a photo of Rosa Zephrine de Houdin (or something like that)
    IMG_20170627_062340.jpg

Netty likes this.