The Good Day All Thread

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Frank, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Hi Melody , :)
    I wanted to see if I could explain the fireplace inserts better about the double sided fireplace located in the main living area. The fireplace chimney also houses the piping for the oil furnace to vent the furnace to the outside as well as both pipes for the wood burning stove inserts inside each side of the old fireplaces in the center of the living area.

**Inserts *** in the large double sided fireplace - each side of the fireplace have separate fireplaces in the same stone structure in the main living area. We added wood burning stove inserts in each side that fits inside the old fireplace opening . There is no longer any loss of heat or air coming in from the chimney. It’s hard to explain. I hope this makes more sense . Both wood burning stove inserts makes a huge difference and we use very little wood to warm up the home when the power is out. :fingerscrossed:

Sjoerd and Melody Mc. like this.
  2. Oreti

Oreti Seedling

Good day everyone.

I use to love an open fire but when I was pregnant with our first I developed a dislike for the smell of wood burning and unfortunately it stayed with me ever since...can't stand bonfires either.

No set plans for today as yet again we are to expect heavy rain and strong winds, so back to the greenhouse I will go.

Have a lovely day. :)

Last edited: Mar 27, 2024
  3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I see your point about free wood vs paid wood. Good luck. Chuckle.

Melody Mc. and Pacnorwest like this.
  4. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

Oreti.....GOATS! hahaha. For me...that smell is goats. Anything goat. After caring for and milking goats for years ( my brother had a cow milk allergy) I get one whiff of goat and I'm in a stall hahahaha. Even some cheese. For my daughter it is lamb after helping on her partner's family sheep ranch for many years.

If I drive by a sawmill though I see me my Dad as soon as I smell the sawmill sawdust, and if I smell a chainsaw and sawdust, I'm seeing my dear Hubby. Funny how our scent senses take us on a path.

We are back from the city and have one more trip tomorrow then home for four days! Whew hew. The city trip was a very long day, and the town trip will be the three hour drive and then a two hour appointment. I took out some frozen turkey dinners for supper tomorrow. :) We drove home through a snow storm and it is supposed to snow more tonight. Hopefully there isn't too much accumulation. The robins will be annoyed tomorrow.

Sjoerd, Oreti and Pacnorwest like this.

Advertisement
  5. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Melody Our sense memory is the strongest memory more than any other sense sight, touch, etc.
    I do the same too with certain fragrances.

6. Oreti

Oreti Seedling

Hmmmm have to say I'm not too keen on Goat fragrance either @Melody Mc. !!

Good morning everyone, a grey, wet and very windy day here today so not sure what plans, if any, are on our agenda . I don't even like venturing into the greenhouse on days like this, as we are in a bit of a wind tunnel spot at the best of times. Often find the glass in the greenhouse has been blown out.

Enjoy you day. :like:

7. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Top O’The Mornin to all… another very soggy overcast very windy day. The sun is trying to peek thru the clouds.

Poppy the hummer is out with her friend Bo, they over winter here and time to refresh the feeders, again.

Speaking of olfactory, I like the smell of fresh compost, if I could bottle it !

8. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

The smell of farm animals brings out a kind of nostalgia for me.

Strangely, cigarette smoke does that too. I don't smoke, but I idolized my grandfather who did.

Hybrid tea roses.

Lilacs.

Bearded Irises.

Bread baking.

Biscuits baking - my mom.

Old books.

9. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

Today - Made a ten day supply of dog food. Took a walk. Started sorting through the spare bedroom, which has been sort of a storage room. Will see if I can sell some of the furniture on line vs take to goodwill. Watched a Nova episode about horses.

10. Oreti

Oreti Seedling

Good day everyone and a Happy Good Friday !

Weather has slightly improved on yesterday ,the gales have gone thank goodness.
    We are out for the day today going into one of the nearby cities ( we are very fortunate and have 2 lovely local ones) we will visit my brother in hospital :(, then go for a browse and a meal.

Have a great day :)

11. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Good Friday morning all! Literally! Its currently 0°C and overcast. A few random snow flakes were starting to fall when I walked the dog.
    Well, I survived the first week of work! It was a busy week, but I'm not too sore haha I did triple my step count though!
    My daughter had another figure skating test night last night and passed her 3 tests with flying colours! Shes been working on these tests for 9 years now, and there are only a few left! She really is amazing to watch, and it just about brings tears to my eyes when I think of all the positive good this sport has done for her.
    Today, I need to do some clean up around the house because tomorrow I am hosting Easter Dinner!
    Have a great day all :)

12. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Good Friday, or whatever day it is, to you! I woke up convinced this was Saturday and thinking of what prep I could do for Easter dinner, and then I realized that this was Good Friday, not Easter Eve. Daffy, ditzy, and a day early am I!
    We are doing a little planting today--bell peppers going in. It has been so dewy that early morning gardening is a damp proposition.
    Hope you have a good day, whatever day it is!

13. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

Today was pretty nice. I starched fabric to use in the next quilt, and did some work developing the pattern. Had a telephone appointment with estate planning lawyer. I have discovered that not only are other people not getting younger. Neither am I :eek:. Then into the garden. Nice day.

Have a great evening and happy tomorrow:stew1:

Melody Mc., Pacnorwest and Sjoerd like this.
  14. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

Made a big batch of hash brown / scrambled egg / shredded Mexican Cheese mix burritos and froze most but ate three. They are a filling snack with some protein. I think I'm on the right track now, making crispier hash browns using Russet potatoes. I'm back to cast iron for those. Works better.

Somebody in my house went outside and rolled around joyously in something very stinky. Then came in and rolled joyously around on the bed, and all of the bedding. Somebody got a major bath with lots of shampooing. And the washer and dryer got workouts,

I can't possibly get angry with him. He's an angel. A stinky one this morning, but not now.

Melody Mc., Pacnorwest and Oreti like this.
  15. Oreti

Oreti Seedling

Sounds very yummy @Daniel W !!

Oh gosh that so reminds me of my parents Labs . They use to get a daily couple of miles walk through a nearby Country Park and loved to prove just how much Labs love the water , but one in particular loved to roll in not just deer, fox and horse droppings but also any rotting carcass he came across. My Mum had the hose pipe and doggy shampoo ready and waiting for him!! ........it's just natural to their instincts...but:eek::eek: :).

Melody Mc., Pacnorwest and Daniel W like this.