The infuriating UFOs

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Crafts' started by Droopy, Nov 27, 2007.

1. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

I just counted. On my couch I've got three UFOs (UnFinished Objects) and a work in progress. In my basket I know I have at least three or four more UFOs, and one of them will never be finished either.

One of the couch UFOs lack buttons. Four big, wooden buttons that I could go buy tomorrow, and should have bought a month ago when the poncho was done.

Another is my new riding sweater, nice alpaca wool, no neck or sleeves. It will have to wait a bit longer, I'm not in the mood for it.

The last one is my youngest girl's alpaca sweater, missing half a sleeve due to yarn shortage. I ordered more yarn last week, but I'm still waiting.

In the meantime, I've started knitting a lovely baby wrap in baby alpaca wool. At least I hope it will be lovely. And I hope I've ordered enough yarn for it too.

Anybody else with UFOs around?
    What are you planning to do with them? Finish, discard or tear up and make something else?

2. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

My UFO's are a different kind Droopy as I don't knit. I have several projects on the go around the house...a kitchen island half completed, a few rooms to finish painting, sheers to hang, curtains to sew...nothing ever gets completed around here until winter when I'm home. Once I finish my fall clean out I'm going to get started on all these unfinished projects. On second thought, they may have to wait until after Christmas :)

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Oh, the joys of UFO's.
    When I was making quilts I had dozens of them ranging from blocks that I didn't really like afterall and had no intention of putting together to make a quilt to partially quilted wall hangings that I just lost interest in.
    Most of those I have been able to sell on ebay, so they are someone else's UFO now.

Now I have at least a half dozen knitting UFO's, several painting UFO's and various other crafty idea UFO's.

That's not counting all the supplies I have bought for some wonderful craft idea or other that sounded really great at the time but since then I have just not been interested in getting done. BUT I will someday and when that happens I will already have all the supplies I need.
    Unless, of course, I do a major clean out and give it all away....which is usually about two weeks before the desire to do that project returns at which time I have to buy more supplies.

4. Biita

Biita Arctic-ally Challenged Forager

Wow, where do i begin? Lets see, i don't knit so no worries there, but, i did buy some yarn an actually got that wrapped into a ball. So one thing completed. lol. (trying to learn to crochet) So all that leaves left for me to do is: take the cloudberries out of the freezer an make syrup an jam, black an red currents into more jam an saft (lemonade as you call it) rhubarb to make into more jam an relish, blueberries for jam an saft, one braided rug half done its as big as my work table but it needs to be doubled,, i think. one rug still on the loom that is waiting for finished hand dyed wool from a neighbor, an ash can for the fireplace that is half done in rosemåling. pine cones to be scented and waxed for the fireplace for fragrance,,,ummm ,,, how much are we aloud to type here. lol. ohh yeah the wine can't forget the wine, that is marinating so bottling comes next and sourkraut is almost ready for the canning, just a week more for fermenting.

but i did get done today, with all my seeds, taken from their pods now that everything is nice an dried, an put into their little boxes for spring. :D

Advertisement
  5. Droopy

You all have lovely UFOs, I must say. Netty, the home improvement UFOs need to be shared! I'd love to see your island finished.

Toni, I've got some hobby sets too, but they don't count since I haven't started on them. :D

Biita, I think your UFOs sound yummy! Maybe I should get me a couple of those next year. :D

6. Biita

droopy, i always have multiple bags of berries an veggies, so just as i get to the last jar of what i have already made, i can make more. And just as winter is ending, i always have one last bag to get us thru till the berries are ready again,, so i guess its never ending. but thats how i like to do it, so i stay busy when we can't go out or go out far because of the dark or the snow is over our heads. But i envy you knowing how to knit,, its something i really really want to learn but when i do,, omg,, its a mess....lol. :stew2:

7. Droopy

8. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

I have several UFO's right now ... and seems like I always have. I see a cute idea, buy the items I need to make it, and that's as far as it goes. I use to start a project and finish it, clean up my mess (ha-ha) and go on to something else. Seems the older I get, the slower I go, and the less I care if it gets started much less finished. Just loose interest and rather do nothing :!: . I don't know how many times, I have literally 'given' away tons of craft items and materials at yard sales, or sold them for little of nothing. What matters is my craft room is clean (once again - for a while), then I get an idea and off I go to a craft store or WalMart. Guess my kids will have to dispose of a lot of my UFO's :rolleyes:

9. Droopy

Maybe you should just forward them to your kids right away? You never know, they might like something to keep them busy during dark winter evenings.

10. Biita

Thank you droopy, i saved that til i get the courage up to try,,lol. That will be soon i do have one ball of yarn. thats all i need right now to practice with. :D

11. bethie

bethie Young Pine

I believe absolutely everyone suffers from this syndrome. :-D Hubby and I had a nice moth pattern so we decided to make six stained glass moths. We each picked three different glasses we liked and we were going to see when we finished how we liked our choices. The glass got cut out and laid on cardboard and ended up under the bed when we had to cleanup for company. Eight months later I remembered them :!: and we got them out and soldered them. They turned out very well but neither of us could remember who picked what glass!

12. Droopy

:smt005 Bethie, that is so funny! I recognize myself in your story.

13. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

Droopy, they wouldn't know the first thing about crafts. Neither of them inherited that 'gene'. So everything would be sold or thrown away :(