The Path Of Rectitude

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Sjoerd, Sep 21, 2023.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

The wood chip garden paths are in the flower garden. We did a little stretch a couple of days ago, then there was rain. Yesterday evening it ws dry, so off we went to the allotment. The one thing my Bride wanted to o was another stretch of the paths. This next stretch we had not done for several years because the chips had not composted very fast. However, after a check, we discovered that the deep path was like a vein of compost covered with a few whole chips.

While I was off chatting with the neighbour lady about her mole problem in her strawberry patch, the Bride made a start on the path. By the time I got back, she had raked the loose chips to the end and began cleaning some weeds and roots out of the composted layer.

I joined in from the opposing end. In that rich compost, there was a tight mat of fine roots. What the heck! The path ran under an arch covered with Clematis plants, I am guessing that the roots were fine feeding roots that had found their way into the path.

You could simply pull up the mat, bang it with your trowel and off came the compost, and Bob’s yer uncle.

After the roots and few plants were removed, the compost was removed and distributed into the flower garden. Here is what the path bed looks like:
    92BCE6D5-E320-49ED-8A49-F12A7B7BF884.jpeg

That root cloth is quite old, but still looks to be in good nick. We dug under it a little and straightened the bricks a bit, as they had become tilted and in some cases, flat on their sides as opposed to standing on their edges. Here is the straight path with it’s new chip filling:
    83187F59-8977-4E29-9FA8-229F07DE2E7B.jpeg

The same path but from the other end. You can see tat it took a turn to the left.

70BF6D16-DB59-43C1-B66B-119010A02527.jpeg

We have one more stretch of about six-and-one-half metres to do. It was too wet today, hopefully tomorrow. No time for that, we had to hurry to get his stretch done before rain and darkness overtook us.

The Rudbeckia was looking particularly good in that grey light of early evening, complimenting the Clematis.
    8B01D186-EF2C-4239-BD38-3BEA49552D88.jpeg

We looked back at the Clematis terniflora as we were leaving.
    352CA988-1BC4-4882-863F-28D1FFBF0C2A.jpeg

Jewell, Logan, Melody Mc. and 3 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

Well done you two. It looks really lovely. I fresh pathway is so satisfying, and your flowers are truly beautiful!

Logan and Sjoerd like this.
  4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Too right, Mel. It is tremendously satisfying. Cheers for liking the flowers. They look and smell so good this time of year.

Logan and Daniel W like this.
  5. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

Chatting with the neighbor lady about her problem with moles among the strawberries, is an excellent way to get work done without actually doing anything.

That path looks great! So tidy and clean. And the Rudbeckias are just beautiful.

Time for you to make a little trip here. I know several paths that need that kind of work. I'll go see if my neighbor lady has moles in her strawberries.

Logan and Sjoerd like this.

Advertisement
  6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Chortle. If only. Mate, I think if I came over, we might just spend all our time chatting and drinking tea. On the other hand….your neighbour lady. Tell me more about her. Does she make a good tart and serve tea?

Daniel W and Logan like this.
  7. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

The path looks great now that it's finished and it must be good compost for the flower bed.

Sjoerd likes this.
  8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Cheers Loggie. It is good stuff. I also put some in the compost bins as well as in the veggie plots. More path work today. The rain drove us home though in the end.

Logan likes this.