The Spuds Are Ordered

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Sjoerd, Jan 23, 2024.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

We ordered Jazzy, Harlequin and a new one for us— Chérie. We were able to order for a gardening neighbour as well.

Daniel and Mel are already making a more serious beginning, so I have to get a wiggle on to catch up.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2024
  2. Loading...

3. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

Hee Hee.

That's very exciting Sjoerd :) I think I've given up on ordering potatoes - the shipping times kill me, and sometimes my spuds depending on the weather. I have some saved from the garden last year, but also a neighbour told me that our little local feed store will order in certain varieties that they travel to pick up. I may try that this year also. (now that you and Daniel have taught me the difference between early and late potatoes haha. Egad - life will be easier now. )

4. Willowisp0801

Willowisp0801 In Flower

I have seed left from last years potatoes. However I liked your harlequin name, it sounded nice. I found one place that sold them but it was not the right currency for me. So I guess it's only on your side of the ocean.

5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

What a pity, Willow. They are so tasty.

Advertisement
  6. Willowisp0801

Willowisp0801 In Flower

Makes me think I should continue to look!

Sjoerd likes this.
  7. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

Please keep us all updated @Sjoerd on your potato progress!

I decided not to order seed potatoes from Maine this. I don't want so many, they are expensive, and the shipping cost is more than the potato cost.

I also need to scale back, so the reward aspect more greatly outweighs the work aspect.

So I bought some small bags of seed potatoes at the gigantic mega huge massive home improvement store, while buying some home improvement items. Red Norland and Yukon Gold.

(I also bough dahlia tubers and Ismene bulbs. Bad me LOL. I couldn't resist! If the Ismenes and potatoes and Alstroemeria and Mirabilis all grow, I'll have a little corner of Peru this year!)

Melody Mc., Willowisp0801 and Sjoerd like this.
  8. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

That sounds like a good idea Mel. That way they might not arrive in such bad shape.

Melody Mc., Willowisp0801 and Sjoerd like this.
  9. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Willow— I hope you will have luck. The parents of this spud have excellent credentials.

Daniel— will do. They are resting in the cool-erator now. They will come out this month.

Willowisp0801 likes this.
  10. Willowisp0801

Willowisp0801 In Flower

I wonder if you are talking about the company I used to order from. I would get the sampler pack. You could choose 3 different kinds. But last year they went up in price and the shipping was ridiculous! So I found another company called Grand Titan Organics. They were a lot less pricey and shipping was free. And they have so many varieties! But not Harlequin

Melody Mc., Pacnorwest and Sjoerd like this.
  11. Clay_22

Clay_22 In Flower

I will order mine next month since I can do anything with them til April/May

Sjoerd likes this.