The tomato jungle!

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by dooley, May 26, 2011.

1. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

Remember my small garden? I posted a picture of it recently. Today, I watered it and after took a new picture. This is the tomato jungle that I have now. There has got to be more than a 100 tomatoes of various sizes just starting to ripen. dr says, "tomato sauce."

[​IMG]
    Tomato jungle ( photo / image / picture from dooley's Garden )

There are some jalapeno peppers and banana peppers and onions and cucumbers in there somewhere. Chance watches the cucumber plants and lets me know when to pick them. They are her favorite vegetable and she would have them every day if she had her way. Only dr likes the hot peppers but I will eat the banana peppers.
    dooley

2. Loading...

3. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Yep Dooley... looks like it's time to get out all the canning equipment!

4. GMB27

GMB27 Seedling

Dooley thats a forest! Id love to have that many on the go, although its going to take a lot of work to pick them all :) Tomato sauce indeed!!

5. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Holy cow! If we don't hear from you for a couple of days, we'll send a search party to the "jungle". :D

Advertisement
  6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Dooley, I don't think that I have ever seen anything like that! It is a jungle, alright.

My goodness--where do you start when its time to harvest? :eek:

7. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

It looks like you are doing a superb job. So whatever you are doing tell us so all of ours have the same chance. Or do you do the "just put them in and they will grow" method? My husband thinks you can't baby them enough. I think just put them in and be done with it. He's out there every day checking them and I might give them a glance every now and then. He probably really would get a much nicer crop than me, also. :D But when it comes time to use them, he's lost.

8. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

There are only 14 plants there. I have already picked 6 tomatoes. We put down the black plastic, cut holes and planted the tomatoes and mulched over the plastic. Then, it's just water and once in awhile I put Miracle Gro in the water. I think the rain we got the last couple of weeks helped. Plus I went with my Q-tips from flower to flower like a little bee. The tomatoes are all sizes so they won't all ripen at once. I picked some cucumbers and banana peppers last night. I picked four jalapeno peppers but dr says now just leave them on the vine to turn red. I'm a more plant and let them grow except for feeding them with Miracle Gro once in awhile when I remember it.
    dooley

9. mart

mart Strong Ash

Hey Dooley! My tomatoes are the same,, loaded with more than I have seen in years. Potatoes are the same,, loaded. And I have 71 plants. Anyone want to help can them ?