Thinning & renewing iris bed....help needed

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Cayuga Morning, Aug 24, 2017.

1. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Hi,

I have a bed of iris that runs along our driveway. Last year the bloom was sparse. This year, the iris did not bloom at all. The sword leaves are very dense: clearly the bed needs to be re-dug and thinned.
    So, how far apart do I plant the divisions? Do I renew the soil at the same time?
    Thanks for your help!

Philip Nulty likes this.
  2. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Cayuga, as I remember, there was an iris bed in the neglected house we bought in upstate NY when we were newly married. I dug the entire thing up, threw away any rhizomes that looked "iffy", put in purchased compost and bone meal, then replanted the separated iris rhizomes about 12" apart. We had lots of iris the next year, and about every four years after I repeated the whole process--dig, lift, throw away, add compost/bone meal, and give the extras away.
    You wouldn't believe how difficult is to give away extras after a few years!

Philip Nulty likes this.
  3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

That's the way I thin out my Iris bed out back.....and I did have a difficult time finding new places in the yard for the extras but they are my Popsicle ladies so I have to keep them all for myself. Don'tchaknow.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  4. Cayuga Morning

Thanks MG & Toni. I have my marching orders now. I hadn't thought of adding bone meal. Good idea for the tubers.

Philip Nulty likes this.

Advertisement
  5. purpleinopp

purpleinopp Young Pine Plants Contributor

I've never amended the soil or put much effort into Iris tubers at all, just literally lay them on the ground. If buried, they can rot.

Philip Nulty and Cayuga Morning like this.
  6. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Opp, I'm glad you mentioned what I forgot to say. When re-planting, the rhizomes ought to be buried about 3/4 of the way, with 1/4 visible above ground. Here in Texas, the above-ground part is covered with mulch to keep them from scalding in the sun. I didn't have to cover them in mulch up north--I'd completely forgotten that bit of information. Thank you!

Philip Nulty and Cayuga Morning like this.
  7. Cayuga Morning

Well I picked up bone meal today. I'll try throwing some of that in. Thanks for the remindER about the drpth.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  8. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Be careful. For me replanting this late in the season I've had many tubers rot. You might not have that problem where you live.

purpleinopp likes this.
  9. Cayuga Morning

Jewell, after reading your comment, I did more research. What I read says the plants need 2 months before freezing weather to reestablish roots. I think i havethat. Is your fall the rainy season sheet you live?

10. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    The only reason I am even aware of the problem with roots rotting is because I ordered some mini iris a few years ago. Unfortunately I lost almost half the varieties. We don't get our rainy season until November but had a wet cold winter. Even though they developed roots it was sufficient to ward off rot. Good luck with your replanting. With an established group you won't have that much of a worry.

purpleinopp and Cayuga Morning like this.