This And That In The Lottie

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Sjoerd, May 16, 2016.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

A grey and moist beginning of the day when I stood up out of bed. I sat on the edge of the bed and just sighed.

Well, the bride had the remedy--"Sunshine on a Plate", she called it.
    tuin91.jpg

The last of the home made sausages and a couple of eggs from up the way. There were other cheeses, jams and honey of course...but this got my day started off on the right foot. My partner always laughs at me because I insist on eating off this old plate that I have had for donkeys years.

Well then, back in a good mood now. chuckle. So then, what to do?

Well, the garden is beginning to get on its feet now....and soon we will be back on that midnight processing schedule. There's only one thing for it--defrost the freezer!

That took a bit of time, but always so rewarding. So a bit of free time to write on here and think about the coming days. The weather forecast does not look good at all.

Right then, so I shall think back over the past week of unseeing and show a thing or two from the lottie.

To begin with--the syring is blooming like mad, as is the Wisteria.
    tuin4.jpg

That Syring with the little, delicate Myosotis just look so nice together.

Turning to the spuds then--You my recall that I plant my spuds in trenches whit tall ridges of ploughed-up soil either side.
    tuin9e.jpg

Here they are before earthing-up:
    tuin3.jpg

Yes, the spuds are underground in the bottom of the trench. That was then...this is now. The tatties are up and growing, so the soil is raked down into the trenches from off the ridges and the topography is almost level after the first earthing-up manoeuvre of the season. Here you can see the patch beyond the corn and beans.
    tuin9d.jpg

Those piepers (spuds) have plenty of room for root and foliage development. I tend to always plant my spuds a bit too close to each other for some reason. Not this year.

Back a few days ago it had been dry and hot fopr a number of days in a roew and I regularly gave water to sensitive plants like brassica's, strawbs, sweetcorn, spinach, kapucijners and the like. Here the newly planted corn gets a little drink:
    tuin9.jpg

The bees are happy and foraging like mad. Here on an apple blossom in the lottie.
    abeja2.jpg

Another on an Myosotis:
    abeja.jpg

Hoping that it will clear up soon and I can get back to the garden. Perhaps I will plant a few flowering plant seeds today.

carolyn, Donna S, Red Audrey and 4 others like this.
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Sjoerd
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Sjoerd
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Beeker

Beeker In Flower

Wonderful pictures and information!
    That breakfast definitely made my mouth water!
    The Wisteria around here is growing like crazy! I won't let it come near my yard, although it is beautiful to the eye and nose. The neighbors have it but didn't keep it in check, now it is taking over their yard and the power lines.
    Lilacs, however, are more my style and level of care. Pity the flowers don't last longer.
    I am planning on planting Myosotis around my shade garden to attract pollinators. I love those sweet, little blue flowers. Nice to see that they are attracting the bees for you.

Growingpains and Sjoerd like this.
  4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I wish my Wisteria would grow like crazy. It can be quite difficult here. After several years it is finally blooming well, and smelling divine. I'm a happy camper.

I have read that it can get out of hand, but I do not know anyone here with that problem.

I agree that those Lilacs do indeed not bloom long enough. They really are beautiful.
    My Myosotis plants are wiggling with bees. They are so nice to watch from the vantage point of the bench in the shade. hahaha.

Philip Nulty and Growingpains like this.
  5. mart

mart Strong Ash

Those pics of the bees are good enough for National Geographic or any of the nature magazines. Maybe you should submit them for publication.

Advertisement
  6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Thanks for the compliment, Mart. That is quite a nice thing to say,
    because everyone knows the rep that Nat'l. Geo has. I'm way too shy for that though. Personally I believe that they hold to a higher standard.

Philip Nulty and Growingpains like this.
  7. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

I agree with Mart. The Bee photo is amazingly clear and defined.
    Sjoerd, your gardening descriptions and photos are pure delight.
    Your "Bride" sure knows how to brighten up your day with the
    scrambled eggs (Yum) and your "Go To plate" is perfect

8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Thanks GP--You are very complimentary. I sure appreciate that.
    Yeah, I really like that plate.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  9. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I also agree with Mart about your photo's, Sjoerd. They really are very good. Your Lottie looks great, so neat with the trimmed grass paths. There's little blooming here yet but the bees are all over the grape hyacinths and other blooming bulbs. I need to thin the hyacinths and can't seem to find anyone that wants them so maybe I'll just plant them out behind the fence so the bees can enjoy them.

10. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Thank you so much, 2OF--Those little grape hyacinths really do spread themselves about, don't they. Bees do seem to like them in the early spring. I hope that you can find a place for them.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  11. EJ

EJ Allotmenteer Extraordinaire

Spuds and corn looking good Sjoerd, hopefully my corn will get in this weekend.

Sjoerd likes this.
  12. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Thanks EJ--I hope that you get some decent weather this weekend. BTW--Chelsea is next week, isn't it?

Last edited: May 21, 2016
  13. mart

mart Strong Ash

Where are the biscuits to go with that breakfast ?
    If you are not up to Natl. Geo yet,, start with some of the magazines for beekeepers. Take the pics right at your own garden.

Sjoerd, Cayuga Morning and 2ofus like this.
  14. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Sjoerd I agree with everyone else about your photos. Your lottie does look so appealing. I keep wishing my community garden plot was so prolific! I am settling for learning from you.

carolyn and Sjoerd like this.
  15. EJ

EJ Allotmenteer Extraordinaire

Sure is Sjoerd, then springwatch the week after that.

Sjoerd likes this.
  16. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Biscuits...well, MART--we haven't progressed that far yet. I have taken so many pics over the years of the lottie and the birds and insects that come into it. I really like the bees though...it is difficult to get a really good foto of them because they are constantly moving. I find your comments so nice to read.

Thank you so much, CAYUGA--I so appreciate your nice comments. Your community plot ought to be prolific this year shouldn't it? Our complex was once a community / council-owned acreage...but one day we came to loggerheads with the council and mayor and just bought the land outright from them. I can tell you that owning the ground is much better for us as we make our own rules now and finance our own projects like water and electricity. I hope that you will find a way to show your plots at some point. I am really interested to hear how it is going.

EJ--Thanks. Yes, I saw the first show tonight. It got me all in the mood for the rest of the week. Laissez les bon temps rouler!