This is a test, it is only a test,

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by fatbaldguy, Dec 6, 2015.

1. fatbaldguy

fatbaldguy In Flower

in the case this actually works.....................I'll be completely surprised!

I got out some cabbage, kohlrabi, and kale seedlings just about 3 weeks too late to make harvest before the weather cooled off too much. About 1/3 to 1/2 of the supposed time needed to grow to harvest.

The plants are still alive and growing, albeit very slowly. I've got the planting bed hooped and have floating row cover on it to help it as much heat as that might. With the short day length I have now, I don't know if the cabbage will head up. I know the kohlrabi will go to seed. The kale I know nothing about.

As I said, a test.

If you have done something similar, by accident, or accidentally on purpose, please share your experience.

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Clay_22
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Brian1985
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I had Kale in the garden that really didn't do a whole lot this year, so I left it when I cleaned out the rest of the garden. On November 27th, I went out and picked a whole pail full of kale! It was delicious! I left the stalks in the garden and with our mildish weather it is still growing and I should be able to pick it again in a week or so.
    I'm not sure about cabbage or kohlrabi, but you should be able to pick some kale :)

4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

You know, the brassica's that you mentioned actually like cool weather. If they will progress much further in your zone, I am not sure. I know that we here often leave the plants our until we want to harvest it at some point in the winter. Especially the kale can last quite awhile in the cold, but if it begins freezing, I would think about harvesting.

We eat those veggies that you mentioned over here. I will say that there are varieties of summer and winter species...so check the seed packs (if you still have them) and see which ones you have planted and you ought then to have some idea of what you can expect in terms of harvesting and cold tolerance.

Good luck, mate.

5. Coppice

Coppice In Flower

I might put a drop-light out in your tunnel. At night at least. a 60 watt bulb makes a fair bit of heat in a small space.

Um, or a string of incandescent Christmas lights...

Advertisement
  6. fatbaldguy

fatbaldguy In Flower

Coppice, how very nice to see you again! I have missed your advice and knowledge. I hope all is well with you and yours. Very good to hear from you again.

7. Coppice

Coppice In Flower

Still old fat and in the way ;)