Time To Plant My Brassicas

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Sjoerd, May 6, 2010.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

There is a little change in the weather and it's quite sunny out. It is cool and occasionally a big cloud passes overhead...but in general it's perfect weather for working in the garden.

I have been waiting for the opportunity to continue with the planting-out phase, as I have a balcony and windowsills full of veg and flowers just waiting. Yesterday it was a national holiday here and I took the opportunity to get some work done.

The first thing was of course to have a cuppa and review what I would do...this "reviewing" always goes better with a stone cup full of hot tea in my hand, the garden being viewed from the "reviewing chair" on the "reviewing patio"....are you getting the drift? ;)

Ok then-- cup drained, I stand up blinking optimistically into the sunny, blue sky dotted with majestic with clouds rolling by as if on a Hollywood screening set. There was a slight breeze that was cool, but I figured that if I was working at the proper tempo, I would not be chilly.

I loaded up with tools, baskets, watering cans nets and poles...stepped over my fence and walked with determination up the path a few steps to the New Garden. I stepped over that fence and started talking to the patch telling it that it was going to get a good working-over this day. The patch laid there in silence; still in hibernation, judging from its motionless indifference.

You remember the patch, don't you? It was the only one left with a protective covering of brown Phacelia stems.
    [​IMG]

Well, I raked it northwards to what will be the border of the corn patch in a few weeks and left it there while I worked. The linear pile of the debris I shall later use as mulch for the strawberries to rest on.
    I took out the enviromesh and rolled it up against the fence so that it would be ready to cover the plants once the frame for it was put up. The green mesh that you see protect planted peas from hungry birds.
    [​IMG]

Let the work begin!

The debris raked away, I could remove the odd weed that was in that bed-- there were a few horsetails there. I then trod the ground in these short shuffling steps on the soil to compact it. Brassicas generally seem to to better if the soil they are planted in is compact.
    After this, I took the claw rake and raked it all level. The plants could now be put in.

I use a tulip bulb planter to make the holes, I sprinkle some calcium in the hole and around the edge on the soil that will be added to back-fill.
    ** I have a problem with clubroot disease and this calcium helps combat that, changing the pH surrounding the roots.

Time for a little break now, so I cover the plants and patch with the enviromesh to keep off the various insects that attack brassicas.
    [​IMG]

After a suitable pause with tea and bikkies, it was back to work.
    I finished the brassica planting for the day (there are more at home, but I couldn't carry them all on my bike).
    I planted Calabrese, Purple sprouting broccoli and summer sprouting broccoli. I have some sprouts and some kohlrabi still...and more purple sprouting.
    I hope that there will be room for it all.

There is the finished planting and protective enclosure taken from the south.
    [​IMG]

...and another look taken from the north. That empty space will be the corn patch planted in a staggered fashion to give a longer harvest period.
    [​IMG]

Now once that was finished, it was time to give attention to the greenhouse. There were more tome to be planted and some Tonkin sticks had to be placed.
    I am planting Ferline and Legend toms--both somewhat resistant.

Can you recall my seeding and transplant piccies from the beginning? Well, just look at these nice specimens now--the root ball is very well developed and they have a nice, long and thick stem.
    Look at the roots in the clear yogurt cup.
    [​IMG]

...and for the first time ever--the plants at this stage are budding! :eek:
    I have never had that. I do not know if this will be a good thing or not-- I shall have to keep an eye on this.
    I like to have them in the ground before they begin to bloom, otherwise I could buy them in the garden center. Well, as I said this is the first time that this has happened and I am curious if it will make any difference at all in the plant's production.
    [​IMG]

After this planting of toms, I planted the last Clematis and then some extra lettuce that the neighbour guy, Peter, gave me. I planted these ones outside over next to the strawbs.

Three more work days, and then I have a weeks' vacation top complete the veg planting and to make a begin on the clean-up.
    I shall begin with the little edging just outside the front fence, I think.

2. Loading...

3. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Thanks for the cup of tea Sojerd :D, the tea was really good and your post is really inspiring. I really felt that I was right there with you :D I had just harvested the last of my brassica yesterday and they were really sweet and delicious. :p I must seriously consider planting some sweet corn. :D

4. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

great pics sjoerd! looks like you're making great progress.

the root system is spectacular on that tom plant. looks like your idea worked! not sure about the plant blossoming before you put it in the ground. i thought one was supposed to remove the blossoms before transplanting, to give the plant energy to recoiup after the transfer? it'll be interesting to see what you do.

looks like today's the last cold day and we can now start planting too tomorrow. have to go to town today.

is the cover over your brassaics that agribon, forget the name, cloth we were talkinmg about before, that is only sold abroad, not here? it looks much clearer than the reemay cloth we have here.

5. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Gosh, your plots look so good! I think I could do with a couple of Dutchmen up here, to help me sort our garden out.

I did get the drift. :D I've got my survey points too. Very important to get a proper view before one starts. *sending back the biscuits and pouring more tea*

Advertisement
  6. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

We had to stop for tea yesterday while we were putting up fence. Ours was iced though. It was 95 here in the afternoon. We stopped and went out to eat when we finished the fence. dr pulled the old posts when we got back home. My tomato plants must like the tubs. We have five tomatoes now.
    Your garden looks like you do a lot of planning before you plant. It looks great. dooley

7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

You are welcome for the and bikkies, KK--I am jelous that you have been harvesting brassica, for I shall have to wait so long still. I do agree that it would be a good idea to plant some sweet corn.

Thanks BUNKIE--In terms of nipping-off the buds before planting: I frequently do that with flowering plants, but I have never been in a situation where I would have the choice to do that with veg. I am curious too if it will make any difference.
    From what I can tell, the agribon is more like wheat we here call "fleece"--a cottony-looking material that has no weave, so to speak....whereas the enviromesh that I use has a weave like window screen, the holes being very, very tiny.
    This enviromesh is indeed for sale in the US, but under a different neam. I think. I do not recall how that conversation went that we had a few months ago on this subject.
    The abrigon looks almost like the same weave as the Remay to my eyes. If you look for the same type of stuff that I have, just remember that the weave is like the screen in a screen door--just smaller.

Hahaha...Is that an invitation or a plea, DROOPY?--Good for you, having your survey points too. I don't feel so alone now. :) You are right about the importance of having forethought when gardening (with refreshments, shade and a comfy chair of course).

Thanks for the biscuits...here. Pour a little for me as well, would you?

DOOLEY-- You take a pause now and then as well, eh? Congrats on your toms. My mouth is watering just thinking about them.
    Thanks for the compliment about the looks of the new garden.
    I would like tyo see some pics of those toms of yours.

8. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

9. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Way to go Bunkie!!

Yes, that's the stuff (had a look at the website, natch).
    As I have said--using this stuff where I live is a must for ceretain plant sorts. It's very simple for those plant sorts--no enviromesh, no harvest.

I am quite happy that you were able to locate some. Please do let me know if it helps you and what you grow.

You did good.

10. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

thanks sjoerd! will let you know how it works for sure. biggy is to protect the broccoli and cabbage from aphids and worms.

btw, got my broad beans planted yesterday! they look so healthy, and what a nice thick root ball they had....cept...we had wicked thunderstorms with hail and rain yesterday afternoon... luckily, seeing the dark purple clouds coming in, i ran out and covered the plants with reemay.

11. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

Bunkie, My broccoli last year had fat green worms at one point. Also a lot of flying insects. Were those aphids? They both were gotten rid of with some organic insecticide. So, the cloth is meant to keep those things off the broccoli and still let sun and water in? Do you have to support it off the plants or just throw it over them? Sjoerd, yours looks almost like it's sewn specially with sides to it.

12. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

daisy, the aphids are those little tiny green to grey bugs...

http://www.google.com/search?client=saf ... 8&oe=UTF-8

sometimes they cover our broccoli plants. usually the ladybugs have a go at cleaning them up, but sometimes there are just too many. also, ants are known to farm these little critters...on our veggies!!! a strong water spray from a hose will knock them off the plants, too. and we've seen the worms too.

if you look on the link i posted for US enviromesh, it looks like they just draped this over the plants, which would be great! other places i was looking, in Britain and Europe, they have frames one can buy to put under the enviromesh to keep off of plants. i'm thinking it'd be easy to build a framework. maybe sjoerd can help here.

i had the brilliant idea of using this cloth to separate plants from crossing so i can collect pure/true seed come fall, too! easier than building cages! :D

13. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

EWW! They're gross little bugs. Last year, a couple times, when I would go to pick the broccoli, these little bugs would swarm off of the plants, like a cloud. The link says they produce "winged offspring" so maybe that is what they were.

Bunkie, you're a big help. Thanks for the info.

14. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

you're welcome daisy. i'm still learning every day here too...

and i totally agree, they sure are gross! i guess the idea is to prevent them ahead of time so they don't create a huge infestation. hopefully sjoerd's enviromesh is the answer! :D

15. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

Looking at Sjoerd's set-up, I think he pounded posts in at the corners and put those plastic bottles on the tops, and then ran rope around the posts, through holes in the bottles, and then enviromesh is clipped to the rope. Pretty creative. Is that what you did, Sjoerd?

16. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

plastic bottles! i couldn't figure out what they were!!! thanks daisy! :D