Tips on how to let these plants thrive?

Discussion in 'Herb Gardening' started by HerbGod15, Jun 25, 2011.

1. HerbGod15

HerbGod15 New Seed

I just went to a farm and got some herbs(1 is not technically an herb). They include Evergreen Huckleberry([Vaccinuim ovatum] after finding out my "Garden Huckleberry" was poisonous and was not a true Huckleberry.), Lemon Southernwood, Tuscan Blue Rosemary, and Germander. Do I need to add pine needles to the soil around some of them for acidity? I already planted them based on the growth info on the tags but I would like some help on what to do to them to make them thrive. Thanks, Ken.

2. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Do you know if your soil is acid or has lime in it? If limey, by all means add pine needles to your huckleberry.

The Artemisia and rosemary like dry, sunny conditions. I grow them in ordinary garden soil adn they do quite well.

I've never grown germander but according to net sites it likes neutral soil too.

I'm not an expert but I hope you find the tips useful.

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I have both Rosemary and Artemisia growing in the black clay we have for soil and they are thriving. I grew Germander a few years ago in a pot of regular potting soil and did just fine.

4. HerbGod15

HerbGod15 New Seed

I looked on the tag and the southernwood is hardy to zone 4. I live in zone 7b. Since it is warmer in my zone will this plant still live like a perennial?

Advertisement
  5. toni

I'm in zone 8a and down here in Texas we are warmer than you by many degrees and it is a perfect perennial here and in really mild winters which ours usually are, it holds it's leaves all year round.

It does need well drained soil or it becomes susceptible to root rot.

HerbGod15 likes this.
  6. HerbGod15

HerbGod15 New Seed

Does anyone know about sage? I got these seeds that I think are white sage but the seedlings look more like diviners sage. The seeds were very easy to start and came up in 2-3 weeks. Are they an annual? Do I have to seed them every year or do they self seed?

7. toni

Salvia apiana - White Sage happens to be hardy down to 20F, if you have winter weather colder than that then it has to be brought inside for the winter or grown as an annual. It's seedlings start life a light green to white then turn very white when mature and especially after drying.

Have you started Salvia divinorum from seed? Most sights I have seen mention that it produces very few seeds and those it does produce don't usually germinate. Is it legal in your locality?

8. HerbGod15

HerbGod15 New Seed

Ok. Sorry. I was mixed up, it was white sage. The kind used for smudging.