Tis The Season To Be Jolly

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Sjoerd, Mar 26, 2015.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Well, Monty Don has returned to the telly in GB; and here, the website called "Beleef de Lente" again has live camera's in bird-nesting boxes to look at. We have a show here called "Van Hollandse Bodem"; it is a show like the British "Allotment Challenge". The format is similar and gardeners grow, harvest and cook their own veg. Also like the British version, it takes place on the grounds of a large estate.
    Kate Humble also has a new show on the Beeb about allotment veg growing and there is a famous Michelin Star chef that uses some fresh veggies to cook meals. I do not need the cook in that show, but ach....
    All this to illustrate the coming of the new season--and I have a good reason to be jolly.

With the minimal warming of the weather, work has begun on the lottie. Actually, as long as it is dry (or at least not hosing water down) I go. Weeding has been the most important task up until recently.
    The Ides of March has past and to follow in that vein, I began pruning. It is also the time that I begin transplanting and planting newly acquired perennials. Donna may like seeing the Limnanthes plants that self sowed last year and have come through the winter as healthy as can "bee".
    [​IMG]

The crocuses have all but finished blooming here and other species have taken their place on the bees' menu. I could sit for hours alongside the hives and watch those bees returning with their loads of pollen and then flying away again to gather more. They are so interesting.
    [​IMG]

Yesterday morning we planted several types paprika's (bell peppers) and two types of toms. We have spuds chitting on the windowsill and have taken the broad bean plants (that we germinated a few weeks ago) to the lottie and planted them. We hardened them off for a couple of weeks first. Those broad beans went in yesterday--timed just right as it rained last night and continues this morning.

We are clearing-back the flower garden debris with which we covered the veggie beds over the winter. We just sort of roll them back and plant more seeds or plants when needed. We have put in two types of onions, beetroots and three rows of spinach. This next foto shows the thick layer of deaf flower material which I mulched the veggie plots with.
    [​IMG]

Here, close-by the greenhouse we dumped some of the free compost that the Council made available.
    [​IMG]

My partner planted regular peas in guttering and are allowing them to germinate in the greenhouse. The Capucijners (purple-podded peas) we are germinating in flower boxes. Before she could do that; however, the soil inside the greenhouse had to be removed and replaced. We just dug it out and dumped it onto a selected veggie plot.
    [​IMG]

The inside then had the deep troughs that had to be refilled with our mix of compost, other soil from a plot and some aged cow manure.
    [​IMG]

The spuds will go in just as soon as it stops freezing at night. We are trying four types this year--new ones and old ones. Here are the two beds that will host the spuds.
    [​IMG]

The plot assigned to grow broad beans needed to have the mulch rolled back and the topsoil raked level.
    [​IMG]

Then the young plantlets were lovingly introduced to their new and final home.
    [​IMG]

We have a couple of new arches in the garden and we built a rack at the edge of the sitting area in front of the little garden house. Naturally, they need to have some Clematis plants to scramble up them.

There isn't much to see in the flower garden, but I will show a couple of foto's but you will have to use your imagination to get an idea of what it will look like in a few months.
    [​IMG]

The new Clematis arch at the end of the sitting area in front of the little garden house.
    [​IMG]

As you can see, the gardening season has well and truly begun. We are already trying to estimate what percentage of harvest can go to the Food Bank.

The migratory bird protection season has begun here as well. We have already been out to have a cursory look; but of course, it was far too cold and windy. Perhaps we will pop out to a couple of farms to have a look this weekend or so. I just cleaned out the GPS and it is ready for the new nest locations. I have a strong feeling that there are a few nests in the fields now, but it is far too cold and to disturb the birds now.

The bride and I have been taking some short one-day trips while we still can, but as the serious gardening and birding period approaches those little trips will have to go on hold until the fall.

Frank, donm, Henry Johnson and 2 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Everything always looks wonderful on your allotment. Can hardly wait for photos of the beautiful blooms later in the Summer.

4. cuatro-gatos

cuatro-gatos In Flower

Wow, everything looks great Sjoerd. It is very encouraging to see the effort you and your bride have put in, gives me hope for my garden.
    May your bees give you buckets of honey, and the grubs tremble when they hear your foot steps.

5. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

Looking good Sjoerd. I know it will be beautiful soon. Thanks for the Limnanthes hope. Mine just might make it this year.

Advertisement
  6. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I must say Sjoerd, that I am green with envy that you are able to play in your garden already! Your soil is looking so healthy too, and so do your young plants! I am loving that new arch and resting place, and can just picture you sitting there and enjoying a drink. I just cant wait to see how your garden looks with each month!

7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Thanks so much,TONI--I shall be sure to post more as the gardens develop.

Hiya 4G-- Thanks for the blessing. haha. Glad you like the looks of things.

You are welcome DONNA--I have a feeling that yours will do well.

NETTY--I sure hope that you will be able to play in your garden soon. Your desire to start the season is palpable. I must say that you have the same picture of me that I do, sitting there with tea in hand. chortle.

8. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I always look forward to this time of year as I know you'll be letting us see what is happening at your lottie. Those new arches look great and make the sitting area seem even cosier than before. What type of Clematis are you going to be growing on them and will each have its own variety?
    It's so good to see the young plants in place and so obviously happy in their new home and the beds all ready for your potatoes. Let's hope the frosty nights will soon be a thing of the past so that you can get even more planting done.

9. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Sorry for the late reply, Eileen.

Thanks so much for your comments.
    The Clematis sorts are:
    C. montana "Rubens"
    C. Xerxes
    C. "Madame Le Coultre"
    C. "Bill McKenzie"

Some will be one to an arch and others will be combined. I watch with keen interest to see how they will fare.
    I just hope that the weather will soon improve. My spuds have chitted and there are other things to do.
    ....c'mon Springtime!!