Tomato seedlings have a chill.

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Danjensen, May 18, 2011.

1. Danjensen

Danjensen In Flower

I've had my toms sat on the porch the last 7 days hardning them off, with the plan to get them in the ground this week. (temps will start to rise today)

i've been keeping an eye on frost and temperatures and didn't see any issues especially as they are well sheltered yesterday i brought them in as some of the leafs started to droop. I don't think its frost damage just a chill.

would you snip these leaves off if they don't recover?

thanks all

2. Loading...

3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Hi Dan, Are the leaves yellowing? if so pinch them off, eventually they will drop off anyway. You are not going to hurt the plant taking them off now. Are they soft droopy or stiff, sometimes they start to point down as they mature. even if you haven't planted them yet.

4. mart

mart Strong Ash

What was the temp there ? I have never had mine droop from cold,, only lack of water or mid day heat.

5. Danjensen

Danjensen In Flower

hi guys leaves are soft and very droopy and curling up on the sides, temp dropped to about 5-6 but was well sheltered next to the house.

I'm going to leave them on and get them in the ground tomorrow and see how they do.

thanks

Advertisement
  6. GMB27

GMB27 Seedling

If theyre pointing down or are beginning to curl, dont panic. As some other posters have mentioned, you wont hurt them by sniping them off right now though

7. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Dan, how are your tomatoes doing now?