Tomato Seedlings Sprouting From The Compost Heap!

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by S-H, Feb 21, 2024.

1. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

Wasn't expecting anything to grow out from the kitchen compost heap, but here they are - 2 tomato seedlings! So why let them go to waste? Why not plant them and enjoy watching how they grow.

No idea what type of tomato they will give, as I honestly can't remember all the difference verifies I've been consuming. They could also be from the complimentary salads food takeaway outlets give with barbeque over here, (the leftovers of which I later toss in the kitchen compost heap). So it's a total mystery what type of tomatoes I'll get...

You never know, they could be something completely unexpected - like if they were hybrid tomatoes, as those are hardly ever like the parent plant. So it'll be fun watching their progress!

Screenshot_20240221-185117.jpg Screenshot_20240221-185200.jpg

2. Loading...

3. Clay_22

Clay_22 In Flower

@S-H had that happen to me before and with cucumbers too.

Willowisp0801, Logan and S-H like this.
  4. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

I've had that happen with tomatoes after I've put the compost around my roses, i pulled mine up but you can grow yours on and see what happens.

Willowisp0801 and S-H like this.
  5. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

Good luck! Who knows what they will be like!

Willowisp0801, Logan and S-H like this.

Advertisement
  6. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

Got a little bit of a bad news regarding one of the tomato seedling - As I saw a bird pull it up and take it away. However this other one is doing fine - It even had a growth spurt during the night, as there was a thunderstorm here yesterday.

1709358501376.jpg

Willowisp0801, Pacnorwest and Logan like this.
  7. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

Continuing to make excellent progress.

1709867641959_copy_1008x1290.jpg

8. Palustris

Palustris Young Pine

Years ago when we used to get sterilised manure from a Sewage place, we often got a whole forest of tomato seedlings.

9. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

Absolutely true, same use to happen with us whenever we got the same type of manure from KMC (Karachi Municipal Cooperation).

Exactly like birds and other land animals, human digestive system too can disperse seeds into the environment like this.

However I immediately stopped using such manure the moment I learned that the chemical hormones in the contraceptive pill - Also got passed out into the environment like this. Which plants too can absorb. So that's pretty harmful, specially if you're a guy.

So from that day I switched to all natural vermicompost. It does cost a little extra, but I've found the results to be a lot better on my plants.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2024
    Logan and Pacnorwest like this.
  10. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Wow that you tube video is a rude awakening.

S-H likes this.
  11. Palustris

Palustris Young Pine

We stopped using sewage like that long before the pill was invented. The place which supplied it stopped doing bags of it and only sold it by the lorry load to Golf Clubs etc.
    Tomato seeds are designed by nature to germinate after passing through primates digestive systems.

Pacnorwest, S-H and Logan like this.
  12. Willowisp0801

Willowisp0801 In Flower

Must be why I got tons of tomato plants after putting the compost from my worm bins in the garden. I just assumed the worms didn't eat them.

What a wake up call, S-H. I live in an older home so I always use a filter for our water. But the filters don't filter, for that!

S-H and Pacnorwest like this.
  13. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

Well I honestly didn't expect this thread to turn into something like this... So I think I will soon start a new and different thread about such contamination in our drinking water and food supply - Basically share with everyone whatever I know, and how we could possibly fix it, (before the point of no return is upon us all).

It's actually something which I had been worrying about (and fighting against) since a very long time now. But I never found people who were receptive to whatever I wanted to say - Thankfully that seems to have changed now. So worry not, as I will soon share everything I know about this, (in another thread that I'll start).

Willowisp0801 and Pacnorwest like this.
  14. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

This is the latest on how my mystery tomato plant is doing.

1711167233704_copy_1008x1167.jpg 1711167338783_copy_1008x2296.jpg

Willowisp0801 and Pacnorwest like this.
  15. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Tomato plant is coming along nicely. So perfectly shaped and lots of side branches.

Willowisp0801 likes this.
  16. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

You know what the best part is? At least for me, when it comes to growing tomatoes? The smell of tomato plant leaves. They have a particular smell, which in my case triggers very happy memories from my early childhood. As tomatoes were one of the first few things I grew in the garden (with both my parents teaching me how to do everything).

And guess what? I just looked at this Golden Dust Croton plant I have growing in a small pot - Now also has a lots of tomato seedlings growing. From the same batch of compost!

Like here I was, wondering what type of tomato I'd get from this single mystery plant - Yet now I have so many more growing!

I better get these transplanted today.

1711250535962_copy_2296x1008.jpg 1711250477828_copy_1673x1008.jpg