Too much sun for a garden?

Discussion in 'Garden Design' started by newgrow, Jan 21, 2009.

1. newgrow

newgrow Seedling

So my wife and I are have a hard time figuring out where we want the garden. One spot she likes is perfect size and location, only problem is only half of it gets direct sun for about 3 1/2 hours and the other is shaded by the fence. So I had a big pond in the middle of my yard like 15'x9' and not knowing I was planning a garden I filled it with compost from my local dump. We can watch it grow and it's big with compost, but it gets full sun all day long.Is this a good spot for the garden?

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Full sun all day is exactly what a vegie garden and most flower gardens need.

There are many flowers that will grow in the other section you mentioned but you would have to be sure to choose properly. Those plants would be designated as needing partial to full shade. Sometimes the plants that require partial shade need morning sun with shade from the hot afternoon sun, so if that 3 1/2 hours of sun is morning then there are lots of choices for that space too.

Your best bet for finding plants is to start looking thru online plant nursery sites...find plants you really like then wander thru local garden centers to see what will grow in your climate.

4. newgrow

newgrow Seedling

well alright then I guess in the middle of the yard it is. I now need to fence it in. We have lots and lots of squeals. How high should it be? I have cherry toms in a pot and pole beans in a pot unless nothing eats beans I can put them somewhere else.

5. gardengater

gardengater Young Pine

Welcome from coastal NC. You're lucky to have a place for shade plants as well as full sun. You'll have a variety going for you. We recently put a 4' fence around our veggie garden and have had no problems with wildlife and we have plenty of rabbits who love to munch on them. Good luck with yours.

Advertisement
  6. GardenGreen

GardenGreen New Seed

Compost Issue

If you filled in your pool area with just compost, you will have problems growing some vegetables.

You need to mix in some good soil. Otherwise your plants may burn.

7. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

I think your garden sounds just perfect, with a location for several different kinds of plants.

8. newgrow

newgrow Seedling

Thanks Droopy! I did not know that. Should I mix it 1/3 compost,1/3 manure ,1/3 potting soil? Right now all my little ones are in almost full compost in pots. Should they be changed?

9. gardenmama

gardenmama In Flower

a perfect place for a garden, sun sun sun...but be sure to water first thing in the morning and after the sun starts to go down at night. you don't want to burn the plants! :stew1: