Trailing Heurcherella

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by 2ofus, Sep 1, 2016.

1. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I bought 2 of these this spring and planted them in hanging pots. Now it's coming on fall here and, even though they are hardy to my zone four area, I know I need to get them out of the pots and in the ground before winter but I'm not sure how long they take to become 'established' before it gets too cold. Anyone have an idea?

Sjoerd likes this.
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. 2ofus
      Replies:
      Views:

3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

the sooner the better, but just pop them in the ground. whether they are established or not they probably will be okay.

4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Usually it takes 4-6 weeks of warm weather for roots to establish. How long until your average first freeze? You could most likely go ahead and get them in the ground, cut them back to a few inches above ground level, pour 3-6 inches of mulch on top of them for protection and cover the above ground portions with a cloche.

5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Normally, I'd say put it in the ground as soon as possible...but the winter comes earlier there and it can come hard. I wonder if it would have time to "establish" in time.
    I am almost tempted to say, try and hold it over and then plant it in your garden in the spring.

To be fair though, I am not there and can not "feel" how the season there is developing. I just don't know, and therefore, I would choose the safer path.

6. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

We can get frost almost any time of the year but really cold weather doesn't set in until late October. That will give them at least 4 weeks. I'm going to plant them in the shade bed today and mulch them lightly until the soil temps get down close to freezing then I'll mulch them REALLY well. I don't want them to frost heave out of the ground. Thank you, Carolyn, Toni and Sjoerd.