Transplanted our Chamaecyparis today

Discussion in 'Trees, Shrubs and Roses' started by Kay, May 1, 2024.

1. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

Today is the day I’ve been dreaming of since last fall! We moved this lovely Chamaecyparis to a new, better location.
    We dug and dug, no small feat; and put it into a big hole that was once a pine tree stump.
    The pine was removed in 2009, and it was in the middle of my ornamental bed, so I decided against having the stump ground out. Over the years, I have had a big pot sitting on the stump with various combinations of annuals. Last summer I realized the stump was really decomposing and I was able to tear away layers of it. So in the fall, we spent an afternoon excavating down about 2 feet. We dug, and used a big sawzall and pulled chunks and hunks of old stump and roots.
    I came up with the idea to relocate my pretty “Empress Chamaey” from the corner of this bed , where it had been rather crowded, up to this spot. I have been so anxious and excited to get this project done! We’ve waited through chilly spring weather, wind, and rainy days. Today was warm, but partly cloudy, so it went well. I was ready with tools, compost mixed with the native soil ,buckets, shovels and mulch,
    I love the look , and don’t even mind if my back aches a little after the day.
    IMG_3508.jpeg

Jewell, Clay_22, Sjoerd and 4 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

What a project! Kudos to you!
    Plus, I had to look up Chamaecyparis. That was fun.
    Good luck and may it settle in and grow happily.

Kay, Logan and Pacnorwest like this.
  4. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

Few years from now, it's going to look fantastic! So it'll be wonderful to see this picture as a before shot. And later the future picture as the after shot.

Kay, Logan and Pacnorwest like this.
  5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Oh Kay, I am really happy for you. I can tell that you are over the moon with your tree and the transplanting project. You have such an infectious smile, I think that everyone just naturally just gets on board with you on this. Congrats.

Kay and Pacnorwest like this.
  6. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

Thanks Sjoerd! That makes me smile too :rosy:

Sjoerd likes this.