Trimming back Lavender, would it help or hinder?

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by AAnightowl, Jul 7, 2013.

1. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

I have some English Lavender [lavendula angustifolia, is how you spell it I think] planted in a wicker basket. It did just lovely this spring and last year too. It is going to seed now, but looking kind of ratty and droopy. This is only the 2d or 3d year I have had lavender. I gave it a little epsom salts to perk it up the other day. Would trimming it back some help or hinder it ? The basket is getting worn out, so I will have to move it sometime in the near future. When is a good time to move lavender?

moderator's note: added a more descriptive title to topic

2. Loading...

3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

AA, trimming it is needed. It will keep it neater and compact. Moving it anytime since it is an a container is also okay. If you were digging it to move it I would say wait until spring to do so, but anything in a container can be transplanted anytime.

AAnightowl likes this.
  4. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

Thank you Carolyn. I will trim it this week. Not sure on moving it yet, as I need to find another container that is not already taken. The wicker basket is rotting at the bottom, but it was lovely while it lasted.

5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

AA, just set it on a saucer or cut an old plastic bottle/jug and use it for the saucer if the basket isn't too big. That way you can at least pick it up by the saucer if you need to move it.....check thrift stores for a suitable container.

6. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

The basket is a large wicker magazine rack. I used to use it for magazines until one of my tomcats was naughty on it... I decided it was time to put it outdoors and made a planter with it. I have a large foil roasting pan that I can put under it for now. Thanks.