Tub gardening!

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by dooley, Feb 16, 2011.

1. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

I've been cleaning the front and back yards and we have been moving fences around here and there but I haven't gotten a place for a garden yet. It has to have a fence or Chance just runs over the top of everything. I've had lettuce and kale in tubs all winter but the freeze last week got to them. So, along with the raking this afternoon I cleaned out the tubs and planted more lettuce and kale. I, also, cleaned out two more tubs, added some potting soil and planted swiss chard and spinach. The temperature forecast for the next 10 days is lower 70's during the day and mostly upper 40's at night, the lowest being 46 degs.I hope they will start growing quickly. I got out my seed box and I have quite a lot of seeds. The lady at the library was tossing some small cassette storage boxes which I brought home and I'm going to fill them with potting soil and plant some seeds in them. They have a smoky plastic lid that I can put over them at night if I need to. We have about 200 feet of fence in various areas of the yard that I'm going to plant morning glories along. I have some sweet peas, too. I need to get them soaked and started, too.
    I work a bit slower nowadays so I need to take advantage of the warm days.
    dooley

glendann likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

You sure are busy Dooley! I can't wait to start puttering in my yard again.

4. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Sound like a lot of work Dooley! But I bet you just can't wait to get at it.

5. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Recently I was in a restaurant that put the leftovers in a great plastic container for starting seeds. The 8x9x3 inch container had a transparent lid with vents. The seeds and I are both excited to get started on spring planting. Now, if the snow would only go away.

Jerry

Advertisement
  6. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

One of the busiest ladies I know.I guess I wont get to see all your morning glories this years.I don't know if I will get back home before winter.Please take lots of pictures for me to see.

7. happyzinnia

happyzinnia Seedling

Dooly, you are very busy.I live in AZ in the high desert and been having mid 20 deg temps at night. I have some old flannel sheets and blankets that i put over my veggie's and herbs and anything that may freeze and it has worked so far. My seeds i start in an old clear low hight storage container. I cut a hole on the side to feed the cord through for a little crockpot that i use to keep things warm at night.Putting the lid on goes without saying :D In the daytime i open the lid. I use cardboard egg cartons to plant the seeds and then transplant the whole thing in the garden.

8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

That sounds great, Dooley. You are really getting going there...and such good temps are on the way it seems.

By the way--did you punch holes in the bottoms of the containers?

9. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

We learned the hard way to make drainage holes after we drown some tomatoes last year. I thought with the big feed tubs it wouldn't rain enough to be a problem but it did and the tubs over flowed and the soil was soupy.
    The lettuce, kale and spinace are up and doing fine. The swiss chard is being a slow poke but I noticed tonight it's coming up, too. The iris are doing well, the bulbs are coming up again. They were frozen off twice. I bought some lilac bushes at the Farm supply store and I need to figure out where we want them because they have little green leaves and they said it's okay to plant them now. I guess maybe tomorrow if it doesn't rain on us. I will just put them in a bit of water to wet the roots. dooley

10. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Sounds like you have everything under control there, Dooley.
    Keep us posted with your progress.