Two less UFO's

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Crafts' started by Droopy, Dec 1, 2007.

1. DaphDaph

DaphDaph Seedling

Thanks Wrennie. I tried a couple of times when I was younger but didn't have any luck. Maybe I'll try again since I can't play in the yard until spring.

2. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Good luck DaphDaph. I hope you will share your learning-experiences.

3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Well, I don't know what I could possibly add to what everyone has already said...but I did want to say how nice these two pieces look--especially the poncho. I can imagine that it is very warm. What a combination of warmth and good-looks.
    I take my hat off to you. :)

BTW... what are "UFO's"? --"un finished objects"?

4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Daph, I taught myself to knit when I was in high school. I bought a magazine, either Women's Day or Family Circle, with instructions and a sweater pattern and off I went. The first hard lesson learned was follow the pattern gauge, I didn't and the sweater was big enough to fit a baby elephant instead of my younger brother.
    If you have a good instruction book with good pictures you can pick it up in no time. A scarf is a great first project, no specific width or length needed (tho between 6 and 10 inches is standard) just cast on the stitches and knit every row until you get comfortable with the knit stitch. Then you can add the purl stitch in the same project and alternate the two rows for a section then back to the knit every row. Before long you will have a scarf to keep your neck warm and looks pretty too.

I wouldn't start with needles larger than maybe size 10 to begin with. The really large needles do make a project go faster but they also allow for too much variation in the size of the stitches which can result in uneven rows and holes in the finished project.
    And a medium weight knitting worsted is a good size to begin with.

Good luck and keep us posted if you do start.

Advertisement
  5. Droopy

Toni, how clever of you! I notice that needle numbers are not the same here and there... My 3,5 is your 4. I think I used size 6 for the poncho - your size 10. Oh, now I get confused all over again. :oops:

Sjoerd, you are a sweet, thank you! Yes, I call them UFO's for short.

6. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Droopy,
    You are right, our size 10 needle is your 6mm. Are the knitting needles available to you, manufactured in Europe? The ones you find in stores here have both sizes on the packaging. I have seen them both so many times that I too get confused about which size is the one I want. :stew2:

7. Droopy

Mine are a Norwegian brand, NOVI, and they only have one size on them, so I've been blissfully ignorant until you answered DaphDaph and I dug out my thickness gauge. It's got three different numbers per hole, ours, yours and BWG whatever that stands for.

I've never needed the gauge because I've been very good and tidied the needles away after use in their proper bag.

8. bethie

bethie Young Pine

How lovely these are. Not only "easy on the eyes" but useful too. :-D

9. Droopy

Thank you bethie. As long as the girls are happy to wear what I make for them, I will continue to do so.