Unintentional Bonsai - HELP!!!!

Discussion in 'Trees, Shrubs and Roses' started by KK Ng, Jan 13, 2010.

1. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

I had posted this plant in this topic "What bonsai produces edible fruits?" OK I was expecting this plant to grow as normal but six months had passed and it just remained the same size. I had put a 1 foot ruler beside it in the photo below.

[​IMG]
    Unintended Bonsai ( photo / image / picture from KK Ng's Garden )

It did have flowers and fruits but they are really tiny.

[​IMG]
    Micro mini lime flower ( photo / image / picture from KK Ng's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Micro mini lime ( photo / image / picture from KK Ng's Garden )

Yesterday I dug out the whole plant very carefully to inspect its roots and it had not grown much. The roots were mainly thin about 1/16 inch and spread about 6 to 9 inches. The soil was very clayish which I thought I had it mixed with sand and compost to make it more conducive for root growth. Well maybe I forgot, :-? if my memory did not fail me, it was going to rain on that day when I planted it and I did a rush job.

This time I am very sure I added sand and compost into the soil in the ratio of 1 part sand, 1 part soil and 5 part compost. Now I am keeping my finger crossed and chatting with it once in awhile :D . If anyone have any further idea to help this poor lime plant achieve normal growth, it would be most appreciated...... err only organic ideas please! :)

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

What kind of Lime tree is it?
    A dwarf Key Lime would be about that size the first year or two and the fruit will always be small.

It could that like other plants, they spend the first year building up the root system with very little above ground growth happening.

The most organic suggestion I can make is to continue takeing care of it and give it more time.

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I agree with Toni that all you can do is give it time and have patience. I know this is sometimes hard to do but I think you'll find that your Lime tree will take off and produce much bigger flowers and fruits for you as it matures. Good luck. :-D

5. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

isn't there a rule of thumb to prune the flowers and fruit the first and maybe second year of growth to give the plant more energy for expansion? (sorry kk, i can't remember how old your plant is?) iknow i always have a difficult time doing this...

Advertisement
  6. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Thanks for the help and I guess I'll have to be more patience.

Toni,
    It is commonly called Limau Kasturi here and I understand that it is a native of the Phillipines. It is commonly known as Kalamanis in Phillipines and its other names are Citrus microcarpa Bunge, Citrus mitis Blanco and C. madurensis Lour.

Eileen,
    Thanks for your encouragement, nowadays whenever I see a butterfly, it always remind me of you :) guess those butterflies will also remind me to be patience.

Bunkie,
    The plant is about 6 months old since it was seperated from the main plant and the main plant I guess is at least 6 years old. Yes initially prune the flowers and the fruits and I stop doing that about a month ago because it just keep on flowering. Ook tomorrow I'll prune the flowers and harvest the fruits.

7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Hello KK,

I have been watching your posting with interest.
    I am wondering about buying a citrus tree for my little garden.
    Can you tell me the Malaysian name for the sort of jeruk that is used for `ice lemon tea` please?

8. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Hi Sojerd,

The Malaysian name is "Limau Nipis" and "Jeruk Nipis" is Indonesian. You can get more details from this website http://www.uni-graz.at/~katzer/engl/Citr_aur.html Hope you can find this plant for your garden. :) Oh ya, the scientific name is Citrus Aurantifolia.

9. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

kk, great link! it looks like we'd have to grow it as a container plant here cause of the cold winters. i have a banana tree, a lemon tree and an avocado tree all in containers...so far! :D

10. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Thanks very much, KK.
    Thank you for the name of that tree/fruit. As soon as I saw it I recalled. When I was in Indonesia I guess that I was using 'jeruk' to buy fruits in the markets. I am afraid that I had forgotten the Bahasa Melayu name for that type of lime altogether.

There are many things that I remember from Malaysia, but the ice lemon tea is one of the things that stands pit mose--probably because I drank it every place that I went.

I think when one travels-- flavour, fragrance and visual things are what impress the senses most. The individuals that one meets makes a lasting impression as well, but in a different way.

Thanks again.

11. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Thanks Bunkie, WoW!!!! :eek: this is the first time I heard of a banana tree in a container and I guess you have to grow the lime in a container too.

You are most welcome Sjoerd and I totally agree with you. :)