Unknown plant - reminds me of a corn plant...

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by pharmtekk, Jul 4, 2008.

1. pharmtekk

pharmtekk New Seed

Hello all!

I have this plant, it was at the home improvement store in the garden center, on a clearance table, in a small pot. We had not seen a plant like this, it resembles a corn plant but the center of it is a melon color as you'll see in the picture below. It was taller but the man brought it in the house thinking it would look nice but it almost died so we cut it back and it is coming back nicely. The thing is we really like the color it brings but have not been able to find this plant again anywhere so I am hopeful to find out what kind it is so I can find out more information about it. Thanks!!! :D

[​IMG]

2. Loading...

3. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

Hi pharmtekk I think your plant is the same as mine .I was told it was a type of rubber tree plant.I paid 99 cents at the 99 cent only store it was a tiny plant back in the spring now it is growing big and the center turned red like yours.Is the pictuire below like yours?I still don't know what type of rubber tee plant

[​IMG][​IMG]

4. pharmtekk

pharmtekk New Seed

HI Glendan! No I do not believe it is in the rubber plant family and looks nothing like your picture. I've had rubber plants like the one in your pic, the leaves are completely different shape and thickness. It is almost exactly like my other corn plants except the middle or base of each leaf is melon colored. In the rubber plant, at least like the one you have in your picture I don't think that the melon color stays the same or it gets real thin up the middle of the leaf, I will post more pictures from different angles. Thanks!!!

5. pharmtekk

pharmtekk New Seed

LOL! I was just giving the hubby a hard time about almost killing the plant so that it doesn't look right to be able to be easily identified... he goes on line and within TWO minutes found what the plant was!!! I have been searching for almost a year!! LOL

It is actually in the spider plant family...

From: http://www.thegardener.btinternet.co.uk/diarydec05.html
    "In the conservatory, a very interesting plant is Chlorophytum "Green-Orange". This is the same family as the ubiquitous Spider Plant (Chlorophytum comosum), but couldn't look more different! This plant has broad green leaves with surprisingly orange stems! My plant hasn't flowered yet, but as the foliage looks nothing like the Spider Plant, then I assume it must be the flowers that look like it! The plant needs warm conditions with good light, but not direct sunlight, in order to give its best. If the temperature falls below around 50° Fahrenheit (10° Celsius), then the plant's leaves start to turn black - not a pretty sight!"
    [​IMG]

Thank you for your help... mystery solved!!