Using plastic sheeting to start earlier in cold zone

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by jillh, Feb 10, 2009.

1. jillh

jillh New Seed

Hello everyone,
    I'm starting to think of my garden already even though it's full of 2 feet of snow now. I live a few blocks away from Lake Ontario so it's a bit warmer here than the rest of my zone (6b).
    Can I use thick plastic sheeting or those bell jars to start plants under and how do I go about this? I'd like to get a head start on some things.
    I will start seeds indoors but would like to move them out as soon as possible.
    Thanks for any words of wisdom!

2. Loading...

3. gardenmama

gardenmama In Flower

Check out my blog. I have domes that you can plant under. I used clear sheeting last year to create domes and it does work.I wouldn't use jars, you need to be able to vent and let out extra heat. I wouldn't be in a rush to get things out side as soon as possible. I live in Vermont and nothing will go out permanently until the end of may. as soon as it is warm enough during the day i will take plants out to aclimate them to being outdoors. And starting in may will let them stay outside covered up at night. Up here in the great north we get frost very late into may.

4. gardengater

gardengater Young Pine

Here in the South, we put things out in April and only cover with plastic if there will be a frost at night. I would check my seed packet to see when to plant outdoors for your zone. Good luck!