Vegetable Garden in Clay Soil

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by bobtheblindguy, Jan 4, 2010.

1. bobtheblindguy

bobtheblindguy New Seed

My wife and I want to make a small vegetable garden in our back yard this spring. The problem is the ground is mostly clay. Will vegies ground in clay or should we not bother ?

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Is it red clay or black clay?
    You will need to amend the soil, lots of compost, more compost and maybe even more compost ;) It never hurts and will make the soil workable and a good growing medium for your veggies.

4. EJ

EJ Allotmenteer Extraordinaire

I agree with Toni. Any kind of heavy soil will benefit greatly from plenty of compost and well rotted manure being dug in. Root crops won't like heavy soil and if the soil stays wet and cold for a long time, seedlings will rot. Then in the summer, if the ground bakes hard, it is a nuisance to rewet and seeds just frazzle off. Organic matter is the way to go.

5. bobtheblindguy

bobtheblindguy New Seed

It's black clay. Can I frame out an area with treated lumber and just fill it in with compose. Or do I have to mix the compose with the clay. Can the compose be horse manure? Will that area need lots of sun or can it be shaded?

Advertisement
  6. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Be careful about using treated lumber for raised beds. Some of the treatment includes heavy metals that can leech into the soil and into your veggies.

Manure needs to go thru the composting process before using on the garden, that's what EJ is referring to as "well rotted". It's full of weed seeds and is considered 'Hot'-too rich in nitrogen-- straight from the horse for most flowering plants and that includes veggies.

There are not too many veggies that will grow in shade, the area will need a minimum full sun at least 6 hours.

7. bobtheblindguy

bobtheblindguy New Seed

I could use brick pavers to frame it out, any other suggestion on framing? My wife and daughter ride at a local stable and they always have a hugh mound of steamie hot horse manure. Should I get some top soil and mix it in with the manure ? I appreciate all your help. Thank You.