very beautful mystery tree/bush

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by lspencer001, May 25, 2011.

1. lspencer001

lspencer001 New Seed

this is growing on my neighbors side of the fence. she does not know what it is but it is very beautiful and loaded with flowers. a few people want one in their yard, including me. the tree/bush is about 8ft tall and loaded with "pink shell-like" buds. the buds look like what you would find on a shell plant. my grandmother thought that it was some form of weigela but was not sure. it is really beautiful and I would like to know what it is that that I can look for it in a green house.

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from lspencer001's Garden )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:?:

2. Loading...

3. gardenelf

gardenelf In Flower

Looks a lot like a pink Acacia.

4. lspencer001

lspencer001 New Seed

Thanks. the photos that I found on google look just like this tree. thanks very much for your help.

5. lspencer001

lspencer001 New Seed

Thanks again for the great info. I have looked everywhere on the web and cannot find any of these for sale. could you tell me where I might be able to buy a few at. thanks.

6. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

If your neighbor will let you take cuttings, acacias can be propagated pretty easily. Take 6"-8" cuttings from healthy branches, dip the ends in rooting hormone, and place in a 50/50 mix of perlite and vermiculite, well dampened. Keep moist and warm (you can put a clear plastic bottle with the bottom cut off, or a clear plastic bag with a couple of ventilation holes poked in it over the cuttings) and keep the medium moist until roots develop.
    Acacias come easily from seed, also. Gather seed, knick the end of each seed with a knife, and soak in tepid water for two days. Plant the seed in moist potting mix and when the seedlings emerge, protect them from wildlife (this is critter candy), strong winds, and hot sun.
    That is a gorgeous tree, and I hope you get several for your yard!