Vine Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Gardening Other' started by joewcase, Jul 9, 2007.

1. joewcase

joewcase New Seed

I have a burm of sorts created from old limbs and general lawn debris. I'm wanting to plant a vine that will grown in/through/over it to fill it in and create a better look. The soil is very sandy, receives little water and is partial to mostly shady. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanx,

Joe

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

We have members here from Texas that will be able to advise you better than I can but maybe some type of clematis or honeysuckle? Russian ivy grows quickly but can be invasive however it would certainly cover everything - fast!!

4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Hi Joe, I am over here in Dallas County. Welcome to the Stew.
    Most of the cities around here use Asian Jasmine as the ground cover of choice in the medians along busy streets. It grows quickly, forms a dense mat, is evergreen and takes whatever soil, shade and water you give it with ease. Vinca minor (Periwinkle) also does well here, it grows in basically nothing but sand in Florida so it should do well in your sandy berm, grows on what water you give it, in sun or shade.
    Purple Wintercreeper is another one that would do well growing under the conditions you have. You might have to take more care with it than the others tho since it can become a problem like English Ivy...taking over everything it touches.