Wanted: help and ideas for a concrete garden

Discussion in 'Gardening Other' started by Marie12, Apr 24, 2006.

1. Marie12

Marie12 New Seed

Hi,

I have recently discovered an interest in gardening, but my problem is that my garden is entirely concrete, and extremely small.

I also have a very hideous fence about 6ft tall that i would like to cover (if possible). What would you recommend i could plant in containers, that hopefully will climb up and cover the fence in time, and also looks and smells gorgeous?

Thanks,

2. Loading...

3. Pinkiered

Pinkiered The Rose Queen

Where do you live? Do you know the zone your in?

4. catkins

catkins Seedling

Not sure if you have clematis in your area, but these are fast growers, cover a multitude of sins and the blooms are gorgeous ( even i can grow them :D )
    My friend has a concrete back yard, which was very unsightly, she bought loads of cheap pots, painted them and filled them with palms and small shrubs and seasonal flowers, her garden looks fantastic now AND she doesnt have to waste time weeding or cutting her grass!

5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Just another few ideas for you. :-D

How about some honeysuckle, you can get everygreen varieties nowadays. Maybe Russian Ivy? It's a very quick grower but can be invasive, however, if you're growing in pots it shouldn't be a problem. I agree with Clematis or maybe even Kerria, pyrocantha, variagated ivy, grape vines or a floribunda climbing rose.
    Let us know what you decide and we'd love to see phototgraphs of your garden as it grows. :D

Advertisement
  6. Marie12

Marie12 New Seed

Thanks for all the ideas!

As to which zone, im afraid i have no idea! Am quite a newbie to all this, but if it sheds any light, I live in Manchester UK where the weather is always grey!

I cant wait to get started! :-D

7. azw1879

azw1879 Seedling

There are some great roses available and although I wanted them at the side fence in my garden, I felt the fence was quite dark :rolleyes: , so decided to put them in white pvc trellis planters attached to the fence. It makes the fence nice and bright, but also the roses look great in them. :-D

I'm also waiting on delivery of a small solar-powered cascade fountain to add as a water feature. Always nice to see (and hear) on a sunny day 8)(if there are any :D)

C.J.

8. catkins

catkins Seedling

Ohhhhhhhh, well, if you are UK based, clematis and honeysuckle will be brilliant! Russian vine is gorgeous when it flowers and grows quickly, but unless you keep on top of it, it will strangle everything.

9. i love bugs

i love bugs The Weatherman of Craggy Island

All good advice there 8) except for the russian vine . In my early days as a gardener I planted it :rolleyes: . One of my customers measured it's growth . One summers day it grew 8 inches :eek: .
    Unfortunatly my next door neighbour planted it 15 years ago and it has been the bane of my life ever since . It is now growing 3 gardens away , about 80 feet .
    My son who is 15 made 40 euro 2 weeks ago to cut it out of the inside of their shed .
    Some councils in England have banned it along with the dreaded Cupressus ,on account of the trouble it causes between neighbours :sete_011: Bugs

10. Pinkiered

Pinkiered The Rose Queen

A PASSION VINE! :-D It doesnt smell, but they do look great and you get fruit in the summer or fall.

11. jubabe296

jubabe296 Official Garden Fairy

I agree with the clematis and honeysuckle both would be very lovely!! The passion vine is a great idea too! I have a bleeding heart vine and it seems to grow quickly and has really neat blooms. I just bought mine a couple of weeks ago, but it has been doing really good!

12. Dishlicka

Dishlicka New Seed

Hire a "Jack Hammer", break up the concrete and let the weeds grow. If you mow the weeds, in time it'll become a lawn.