Water retention and raised beds

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Serena, Apr 6, 2012.

1. Serena

Serena New Seed

Last fall I built a couple of raised beds and layered them lasagna style with leaves, straw, coffee grounds, compost ect. They weren't done breaking down by spring so i added some compost and soil to fill up the beds then mulched heavily. My concern is that the first 3 inches is bone dry, the next two inches is perfectly moist and then at 5 inches down it's wet. I live in hot dry west Texas so we usually have to water more often but the last time this bed got any moisture was a rainy day about 3 weeks ago! Is it going to be beneficial for my plants to have a water resevore down below or is this just poor drainage equalling water logged plants. Also should I water according to the moister level at 5 inches rather than the firt 3 inches of soil... Thanks any advice offered and Happy gardening!!

2. Loading...

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Welcome to the Stew from a fellow Texas gardener! The drainage in your raised beds will improve as the leaves/grounds/straw/etc. break down. Your idea of judging the moistness of the soil at 5" before watering is a good one. Being in Texas, we need our plants to set deep roots, and yours will be reaching down for that moisture. You may want to mulch your plants later in the season to keep the soil evenly moist and have less evaporation.

4. mart

mart Strong Ash

Welcome from a NE Texas gardener. Like MG said it will continue to break down and compost which is likely why the bottom layer is more moist. Only bad thing in your situation would be if starting seeds on the top layer since they need to stay moist. If you do just mix a bit of soil or bagged compost in that top layer and it will hold more moisture but where you are,,you will still have to water that top layer frequently for seeds. Just very little water, dont drown them . Tomatoes should love it.