Watering crystals

Discussion in 'Gardening Other' started by booboo, Jul 5, 2006.

1. booboo

booboo New Seed

I have a food plat that I use to feed the deer on my land. It is clover, chickory, soybeens and sorghum. I planted it about four days ago and we have got rain every day since. I can see little buds peeking thru the soil already.

My problem is, The rains will probably be frequent enough to get it thru August. I am afraid that after thst it might not rain enough to keep the plants alive.

I thought about adding watering crystals to help hold the water as the soil here drys out real quick. Would it be OK to just sprinkle them on top of the soil now? I don't think it would be a good idea to rake them under? Any ideas.

2. Loading...

3. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Hi booboo and welcome to the GardenStew forums, I hope we can help you find an answer to your question :D

I did a quick bit of research and this page suggests that you 'pre-swell' the water crystals, till them thoroughly into the soil and then provide a final watering when they are in the soil to ensure they are hydrated to their maximum extent. I'm no expert on water crystals but I imagine that simply sprinkling them on the surface of the soil may not be the most efficient solution.

Hope this helps somewhat ;)

By the way, why don't you introduce yourself in the 'Welcome to GardenStew' forum. I'm sure everyone would love to welcome you.

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Hi there BooBoo and welcome to the GardenStew forums. :-D I've never used water crystals myself but I'm sure there are others on the forums who have and will be able to advise you. Why don't you check out our free blog facility and add your birthday and any other important dates to our calendar? We also have a members map if you'd like to be added to it. I'm sure you're going to love it here as much as we all do and I'm looking forward to getting to know you. :-D

5. booboo

booboo New Seed

I think they will help but I can't till them into the soil now as the plants are starting to grow. I am wondering if it is worth while to throw them on top of the soil or not?

Advertisement
  6. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Quoted from the previously mentioned link:
    This seems to suggest that if the feeder roots cannot get into the crystals that they will be of no use. I really wouldn't be sure if sprinkling them on the surface will achieve the desired effect. My best judgement would be to say that it wouldn't. I'm sorry I can't provide a definitive answer Booboo :( Maybe someone will come along later with a better one :)

7. jubabe296

jubabe296 Official Garden Fairy

Hi Booboo and welcome to the Stew!! I have never used water crystal myself either, but I have to agree with Frank I don't think I say my better judgement would be against sprinkling on top of the soil also!!