We went to buy a gate, but.....

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by dooley, Mar 19, 2011.

1. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

We went to Bryan/College Station today. Our first stop was at Lowe's. They have some small gates and we need one for the garden area of the backyard. We have to fence our plant areas or Chance runs them down. Well, to get to the area where they sell gates you need to pass through the garden area. Today, they had thousands of plants. Outside and inside, plants, plants and more plants! We, of course, stopped to look at the plants. We looked and we looked and somehow our cart got filled up with plants. Vegetables, herbs, flowers and dr even got a mission fig tree. We didn't even make it inside to look at the plants there. So, you can guess that if we didn't make it inside to look at the plants that we surely didn't make it past the plants to look at gates. dr said he could build me a gate. It may not be as nice or fancy as one we bought but it will keep the plants safe from Chance.
    dooley

glendann and Droopy like this.
  2. Loading...

3. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Dooley... I know exactly what you're talking about! I went into Lowe's today at lunchtime. I needed some twine and wanted a couple of shady plants.
    The lines were long and people had their carts stacked to the brim! I tried really hard not to browse in the plant section... but in the back was the markdown rack.
    Ohh.... I just couldn't resist!
    I finally made it out of there... and was so proud that I didn't forget to get the twine! :D

glendann likes this.
  4. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

When my wife and I shop at the garden center one of us has the cart to put flowers usually her. We have a tendency to wander around, often I will return with something only to see a full cart. It's the sign we have bought enough that day. Some days it seems like we just got there and we are leaving. I think it's a conspiracy by the plants, first they hypnotize you, then they say, 'take me home,' 'take me home.' Then after you leave there is the subliminal message, 'come back soon,' 'come back soon.'

Works every time, :)
    Jerry

5. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

I think plants emit sounds that only gardeners can hear -- like a dog whistle... I can hear the plants calling from the garden center 3 miles down the road right now!

glendann and Zinnia like this.

Advertisement
  6. Zinnia

Zinnia Seedling

Daisy,too bad he is not open yet!! Any idea when he does? Stopped in the little place by 3Bs Bakery Yesterday, they are getting a shipment of stuff this week....been a busy bee trying to get prepared for the Spring :stew2:

7. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

Zinnia, that place by 3-Bs is a good secret, don't you think? I like that place, it's so willy-nilly. I don't know when the place by the snowball stand will open, I keep watching. BUT, I know Himmel's opened about two weeks or so ago. They're very nice there. I thought I'd check out Homestead Gardens for blackberries (even though I think they are a little ... fancy...). OOh, maybe the AACo Farm Co-op will have some local blackberries... Wow, we have lots of options around here, don't we?

8. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Dooley I'm glad I'm not the only one to be distracted by plants. I've seen me go into a large superstore for paint and come out with a trolley load of plants instead. :rolleyes: My garden is so full now that I have to force myself to walk past all that tempting greenery as there's just nowhere left to put any more.

9. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

The good part of starting with a new yard is that it's all open. Other than a few scrub trees that still need cut out and roots to dig we can plant lots of things. The backyard is filling up and this morning dr and "the gardener" moved the wood pile out of the front yard. Next time they will restack it into the backyard. It got to warm to be moving wood this afternoon so we all went to Subway for a sandwich lunch.
    dooley

10. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

:D Dooley, we must be related! I don't know how many times I've found myself in a similar situation. I usually come home with lots of stuff bar the one or two items I set out to buy...

11. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

its to hard to pass all those plants yet .its not past frostinhg here yet.e went to red lodge yesterday.Kevin and Joe were playing in knee deep snow They had a good fun time.Kevin had never been in snow that deep before.It was still snowing on the big big Bear Toothed mountains.They are so pretty I took pictures and so did Heather.