Welcome wreath

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Crafts' started by Droopy, Dec 7, 2007.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Heh heh heh... you have discovered my secret...hahahaha...
    No, seriously, Biita, you have touched on one very important aspect of gardening- the giving aspect. It is such a good feeling making someone happy with freshly cut flowers, divided plants, fresh veggies or jams. Some folks don't realize that gardening is not a simple, superficial hobby--rather it has many different aspects and possibilities. Making oneself and others happy is just one aspect, there is a whole range of tasks, pleasures, responsibilities and to a degree, friendly competition that make-up "gardening". The social aspect is also important, that is to say, the chatting, learning and just spending time with folks who enjoy plants is a very attractive thing and one of the facets of gardening that I just couldn't do without. Heh heh why, I spend so much time leaning on the handle of my schoffel talking that it's like having a third leg. It's a wonder that I ever get any work done at all.
    Woops!....what is happening, it looks like I am becoming long-winded. Sorry, it's just that I am so passionate about gardening. :oops:

2. Biita

Biita Arctic-ally Challenged Forager

Very true Sjoerd, i totally agree, i not only love to look at the garden but to give away my accomplishments. This makes me happy an makes the reciever just as happy. the social aspect i couldn't agree more. So many times it has been the folige or garden itself that has been the ice breaker for many tourists. When i point out what they can use right in front of them that is growing wild to make tea, or add to food as seasoning, they always come back an have me taste,,lol. They also will pass this on to other tourist who are staying, then they end up socializing,, its great!

Once we had a group of Germans who came an stayed about 4 days. They loved it here, the women would wander thru my veggie gardens an when they would see i was looking they would hurry an leave. So i went down an took them back with me, an we started to talk, i ended up giving them some veggies to use for their dinner that night. Then they discovered the blueberries that grow wild all over the farm, lol, they come running up an knocked on the door an asked if they could pick. i tell them sure help yourselves i got 3 farms full of them,, they ended up bringing us a dish that night made of sweet dumplings with mashed blueberry syrup,, omg it was so good. they left, an another group of 4 shows up that night, they were told in Svolvær, about our camp an how i taught them about what grew wild an what they could can an freeze outta veggies. And ofcourse the berries,,lol. We got blueberry pancakes outta that group. lol. but what really happened was we made some very good friends. Food really does bring people together.

I've even had tourists join me in the weeding.

Now who's long winded,,,,lol. :D

3. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

:D You two are great! I love your ramblings and small stories.

4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Nice storys Biita. Blueberries always catch my eye, and the thought of putting them in pannekoeken is an attractive idea, it's just that I don't get enough. --I also don't have enough room to put in more bushes. We use them in scones but mostlty in jam, there simply isn't enough left over for other adventures, as with strawbs.
    I had some vanila ice cream with blueberries once...and it was gooooooooooooooooooooooooooood, girl!

Advertisement
  5. Droopy

I finally managed to get a photo of my neighbour's wreath. I made it Friday evening, and clean forgot to photograph it before I hung it on their door.

[​IMG]

6. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

That is lovely Droopy. Gee, I would love it if someone hung one of those on MY door!

7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

What a nice wreath...and those little finches look cozy, don't they.
    You have very lucky neighbiours, Droopy.

8. Biita

Biita Arctic-ally Challenged Forager

Oooooooo another beauty! That just looks so nice. Lucky neighbor! I still love the holly the most,, i don't know what it is about that plant but i guess maybe its so,,, i don't know, strong maybe but very graceful that i just love it.

Sjoerd i got an ice cream recipe i make. take some vanilla ice cream, chop some tart apples or any really, and saute them in some brown sugar until they get soft but not loose their texture, cool, an add just enough cinnamon to taste. add to the ice cream, mix it all up an let it refreeze a little. Then i serve it with lemon ginger cake, on the side an a little fresh creme whipped on top. I make this for christmas every yr.

9. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

Looks like your wreath making class was a sucess!! Wish I could have been there, looks like it was fun!
    I love your red and white tablecloth!!!
    Deanna
    :-D

10. Droopy

Thank you all for kind words. Our next-door neighbours are wonderful people, so they deserve a wreath.

Stratsmom, it's a vinyl cloth, very handy for homes where children are allowed to make a mess. :D

11. bethie

bethie Young Pine

Your wreaths are lovely. Helping others create something beautiful is such a heartwarming task. :-D
    Gardening IS all about sharing. I'm sure in our early gardening days we have all appreciated others generosity and now we can reciprocate. 8)

12. bsewnsew

bsewnsew Hardy Maple

Christmas is A nice time for Thanks ...................

I just want to thank everyone for showing us how to do things on here and sharing and caring ......
    It has been a fun filled year on GardenStew......

I loved the wreaths....
    And all the information I have gained world wide.

Merry Christmas to all of you .........

barb

13. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

That is absolutely true, Bethie. I have asked so often for advice through the years...and I still do.
    You can never learn it all.
    I enjoy giving away plants and seeds in the spring. When I joined our gardening club there were so many folks that helped in the beginning. I shall never forget that and now I try to offer what I can when I can...sort of passing-on what I once received in a manner of speaking, if you know what I mean.

14. Droopy

Thank you bethie.

Very true words, about sharing and learning.

I feel it's little use to know something and not share it with somebody. Then it's just ending with me, and that's a waste.

15. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

I liked the wreath with the little bears on it that one of the girls made. I wonder why?
    The others are beautiful, too. When I try to make a wreath the branches end up all lopsided and funny looking so I resort to buying mine and putting a few berries on it. dooley